Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

The best way to clean the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Default The best way to clean the engine bay?

As the title says, I want to ask your opinion on what's the best method to go about cleaning the engine bay?Now that winter will soon be over, I can see fine powder of salt and dirt all over the engine area. A friend was talking about a "steamer" or something, but I want to hear get 2nd opinion first before doing anything. Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Default RE: The best way to clean the engine bay?

On my Cavalier, I just covered the alternator and battery with a plastic bag and took the hose to it.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Banned

That is a bad BAD idea.

I always used a rag and WD40, I know it sounds ghetto, but it stops salt damage, prevents grime buildup, and leaves a shine. The only thing I would warn against, is getting it on the Timing Belt.. .and thats under a cover.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

That is a bad BAD idea.

I always used a rag and WD40, I know it sounds ghetto, but it stops salt damage, prevents grime buildup, and leaves a shine. The only thing I would warn against, is getting it on the Timing Belt.. .and thats under a cover.
how is washing the engine with a hose any different then driving in the rain? Just don't use a pressureized hose.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Because the engine bay doesnt get soaked. Almost nothing, with the exception of a few drops get in the engine bay.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:30 PM

just go to yahoo.com and type "clean engine bay"

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=25

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...es_engine.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2046215_deta....html?ref=fuel

These sources are pretty credible. They all say to spray degreaser and hose it down.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

I wouldnt recomend spraying degreaser because when you are dealing with a lot of salt on the roads, grease is the only thing that protects from it.

I say its a bad idea.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm with Sebba on this one...I wouldn't directly spray the engine bay. I have read horror stories about the so-called "steam treatment" and even know a couple of detail shops that were suedbecause of it. I can't say i have personal experience with it, but there is enough negative info out therefor me to be leary of it. And anything that could cause issues with the warranty are always bad, so why take the chance.

I've always used a rag, a soft brush and my favorite non-corrosive/abrasive cleaner to the get gunk and grime off. ThenI wipe the metal hood parts and plastic engine covers with a rag and (multi-purpose) polymer wax to keep the dust from building up so bad. Once a month and it stays pretty clean.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 PM

I'd go with the rag as well.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I know there's something fishy about that steam thing. Good thing I asked.

Quick Reply: The best way to clean the engine bay?