Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Default brake noise

Hey all,

I have a very odd noise coming from I think the rear passenger wheel when I apply the brakes. I know there is about 5mm left of brake pad, and the rotors look ok. I have a 2009 4wd v6 (104,000km)

The noise is a creaking. Not a scraping, not a squealing, but a creaking. It happens when I apply the brakes at any speed. But it is rythmic - like it only happens on a certain part of the rotor..the slower I go, the slower the frequency so it is related to wheel rotation. It DOESN'T happen if I go backwards..only forwards.

It also doesn't seem to happen first thing...it is usually only after things gets warmed up.

There is no drag (that I can tell) the wheel is the same temp as the others.

Any chance this could be the parking brake being a little wonky? Mine is fairly loose (really have to haul on it to make it work).

Anyway, thought I would ask you guys and gals.

thanks!

Dave

Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 AM

I'd suggest taking a good video and posting it.

If you've never posted a video I'd recommend creating a free youtube account and uploading the video there, then posting a link to it here. That would be easiest.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:00 PM

does anyone know how to post a sound clip (mp3) here? I have the brake noise in mp3 format...

Thanks

Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Banned

You'll have to upload it to a third party file sharing site, and then link us to it.

I'm pretty sure it's either a wear indicator, or just harmonic vibrations. Replace the pads/shoes and see how that goes, they're cheap enough.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:12 AM

OK..I'll do that. Thought there might be an easier way that I am overlooking.

Pretty sure it isn't a wear indicator or anything like that. The pads have a fair amount left on them, and it only happens in one direction AFTER the car is warmed up. Won't happen in reverse or very first thing after starting to drive.

I have looked up similar complaints on google and so far it is suspension related, but there is no way I can be sure it's the same noise, but certainly it is the same criteria I just mentioned.

Cheers,
dave

Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Odd. Have someone walk along side the car and see if they can source the noise. Is it the brake rotor dust cover rubbing as the rotor expands?

Take the wheel off and see what's going on. Jack it up and give it a spin by hand after you warm the car up. Maybe that'll show you what's making the noise.

Good luck.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM

Thanks...I was going to try and jack it up and see if there is anything jumping out at me.
The thing is it only makes the noise when the brakes are applied. There is no noise driving along normally or when the brakes are on in reverse. So it's either the brakes or when the weight shifts forward due to braking, something in the suspension causes a rythmic creaking noise (although they are supposed to check suspensions according to the maintenance schedule, and they would have done that less than 5000km ago.

I am too far away from a mitsubishi dealership to get them to look at it. I'm going to a local place....if I can't figure it out myself. Go figure, the 100,000km warranty ran out a couple of months ago.

Anyway, if anything crosses your mind, I'd love to hear it lol

Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM

I had a similar problem. I can't really pinpoint where the noise comes from underneath of the car. My car is XLS 2008, and here is my case based on my observation for the past couple of days.

It seems only to happen when the brakes are applied after the car has been running for a while and slowing down. It doesn't happen when the car starts after it’s idle for couple of hours.

I drive highway from home to work and vice versa. No noise at all when I drive from home to work in the morning, and the car is parked underground garage. However, it makes small creaking noise when I am back home from work, and the car is parked outside of my office building. It’s been crazy hot these days in Toronto, and I guess the weather/temperature condition might off one of the factors besides the components.

I am trying to find an answer from this forum, so just wondering if you have fixed the problem or at least pinpoint what the root cause.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM

No, no solution yet. taking it in next week.

It's certainly a weird problem. Symptoms are:

1. Creaking/popping noise when braking in forward ONLY.
2. Won't happen first thing. Car needs to be warmed up.
3. Happens with a very light touch of the brakes (not really even enough to slow the car down), and it makes a noise based on wheel rotation.
4. If you apply the brakes hard, you still get a creaking noise.
5. Coming from the passenger side (rear maybe)
6. Pushing on car's suspension when stationary doesn't make any noise.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts, let me know. I will try and upload a sound clip to youtube tonight and post the link here.

Cheers,
dave

Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Have someone observe your wheels when applying the brakes. If the wheels caster changes, then you have worn control arm bushings. You should see the wheel move.

Quick Reply: brake noise