Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

A/C issues with 07 Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Default A/C issues with 07 Outlander

I am about to hit 6000mi with my 07 Outlander, so it means another oil change. I do my oil change at the dealer since I am very confident of their service, and the service manager is a friendly guy. They did both the front-end knock and wind rattle issues done without any problems so far.

I haven't been using the A/C that much until recently when summer got into full swing. I noticed that the A/C fan/clutch cycling often (every 15-30 secs), which is normal as I've read from the previous postings here. So I've no questions about that, just a bit surprised when I started noticing it.

The real issue I have right now is about the cold air not being distributed evenly. Pictures paint a thousand words so please refer to the picture below. Everytime I run the A/C, I only get cold air blowing through the vents on the driver side (shown in GREEN circles). The passenger side vent (in RED circles) does not get cold air at all. Even with blower settings set to blow on the widshield or bottom/foot area, only the driver side gets cold air, not the passenger side. I tried to set set the blower to AUTO, still the same. A/C mode to auto and manual, all the same. And this is with a passenger on the the passenger seat, just in case this vehicle is that smart to figure that out.

Name:  citroenAC.jpg
Views: 3692
Size:  31.8 KB

Any thoughts or similar experience? Share your experience so at least I can relay to the Service Guy if any other vehicles are experiencing the same problems, and this might actually warrant another TSB if proven to be on most vehicles

Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Default RE: A/C issues with 07 Outlander

I will check it out later on mine.. What I have noticed is that even if I dont have the A/C on, sometimes I still get cold air pumping through. If I turn it on, then off, it will stop.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:52 PM

I get ice cold from either side..

Old 07-24-2007, 02:09 PM

I have not noticed this, but I will take a closer look when I get of work and see if one ised gets more air than the other, I will tie small strings to both vents and get an accurate measuremnt and visual on air flow on both and post here.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 PM
tcp

I have an LS with manual controls and cool air comes out on both side evenly. Does yours have individual controls for driver/passenger temperature? If there is a door that controls flow to each side, it may be stuck. Otherwise I would say a duct is blocked or has fallen off.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: tcp

I have an LS with manual controls and cool air comes out on both side evenly. Does yours have individual controls for driver/passenger temperature? If there is a door that controls flow to each side, it may be stuck. Otherwise I would say a duct is blocked or has fallen off.
At least I know it should be even on both sides. No, they don't have individual controls, except that you can manually shut each of the 4 vents, but I left them all open. And the duct should be fine because the vent still blow strong air currents on all vents, except that the ones on the passenger side are does not blow cold air at all.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:22 PM

Same amount of freezing cold on both sides in my LS. Somewhere I read that the evaporator is in the same housing as the heater core, see if you get the same heat from both sides. You can also use a button thermometer for food service to get actual vent temps and compare that way. You can use a string or ribbon to verify volume of air.

However I do notice the same voltage swing the other guy was talking about with the ac on. My blower rpms drop and the lights dim everytime the compressor engages.

I think the AC is overcharged with coolant or the AC clutch is defective and pulling too many amps, the other guy never did post back if he resolved his issue.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:04 PM

I used the string method on mine, it is fairlly even on both sides, I also used an infrared thermometer that I have for RC purposes to measure temps an it was pretty consistant through out the vents. I'm gona go out on a limb and throw in the D word(dealer) I know no one wants to hear that, but just have it looked at man.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM

If you have cold air blowing out one side and nothing out the other side then either the duct isnt hooked up or something inside blocking the air is jammed.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 PM

I thought that too but he has air coming out of both sides.

Quick Reply: A/C issues with 07 Outlander