Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

can bicycles fit inside a 2007 Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Default can bicycles fit inside a 2007 Outlander?

I am considering buying a new 2007 Outlander. I would like a small SUV that has enough cargo space to fit 2 road bikes inside standing upright (with the front wheels off). My first choice was the Acura RDX, but that is too small (roof too low). The Outlander is taller, but I am concerned that the folding 2nd row seats take up too much floor space to allow bicycles to fit. Does anyone regularly put 2 adult sized road bikes in your 2007 Outlander? I'd like to mount the bikes standing upright with the front wheels off, using fork-mount racks like this:

http://www.oaklandacura.com/images/m...keForkAtch.jpg
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=1123

Our bikes are not huge; mine is a 53cm and my girlfriend's is smaller.

I know that external bike racks are widely available, but for a variety of reasons, I would like to put the bikes inside if possible. I know the RAV4 is big enough to do this, but I would like something a little nicer than the RAV4. Thanks much.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:43 PM
Default RE: can bicycles fit inside a 2007 Outlander?

I know mine will fit, and its a full size one, but I would not want it to damage my interior so I wont be putting it inside unless I needed to. But yes, most bikesshould fit.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Can you fit 2 bikes in back?

What kind of damage to the Outlander are you experiencing? If you use one of these fork mount bicycle racks, the only part of the bicycle that actually touches the SUV is the rear tire. Put a piece of cardboard or an old door mat under there and there shouldn't be any problem. The reason people buy these "cross-over" SUVs instead of sedans is for the cargo space, right? If you're afraid to carry cargo inside, what is the point? A comparably priced sedan will give you better performance and fuel mileage.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:00 PM

I bought the outi for all the features, warranti, looks, power/4wd, and off course more utility than a sedan. But I'm in the babying process right now.lol, maybe when I'll get over it I'll throw more stuff at it, in the mean time my truck will do for that. But you are absolutely right, toss in some old floor mats and you should be fine, when I speack of damage I'm only talking about minor rubbing marks on the plastics and things like that wish would happen if the bikes tilt or fall to the side by any chance, Hard braking, cornering, ect. But you should fit 2 bikes with no proble, may be you will have to turn the forks to one side and thats about it.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:25 PM

I purchased a new Dimondback freestyle bikefor my son this week end and it went in the back no problem without even folding the seat down or taking off any tires. It did how ever result in a small scratch to one of the panels in the back from the front pegs.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree with Johnny. I dont see how it couldn't fit. Place a piece of card-board, or even an front door mat under the fork area, and roll with it. Use the tie-downs on the side to keep em standing upright, and you should be good.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 PM

What is the distance from the back of the folded 2nd row seats to the rear door? An adult bicycle is a little less than 5 feet long with the front wheel off. It might fit in a slightly smaller floor length if aligned at an angle, but the angle can't be too much with 2 bikes side-by-side. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 PM

I will do you a huge favor and fold down my seats and give you measurements from the back of the seat to the hatch. Go measure your bikes and compare them to what I post in a few.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:22 PM

From the back seat to the rear hatch you got about 4' 9". 4' 10" is cramming it in there.
Fromthe side of the wheel well at the floor to the other wheel well at the floor is about 3 feet.the opening is 3' where it dips down in the back but once you get pass that inside of the rear you have about 3'3" to 3' 4" for height. Your about 2 inches short of fitting a bike if it is exactly 5' long.Go measure your bike with the wheel off and hopefully it fits. Hey if all fails go buy one of them bikes that fold in half hahaha.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:52 PM

Thank you very much for posting those measurements. The size is so tight that I think it will depend on whether or not I can dangle some part of the bike over the top of the folded 2nd row seat. Unfortunately, the Outlander seat doesn't fold flat into the floor like in the RAV4 or RDX. Is anyone actually carrying 2 bikes in the back of their Outlander? I should try to haul a couple of bikes down to the Mitsubishi dealer and see if I can squeeze them in one of theirs.

Interestingly, the official Mitsubishi press release does say that 2 bicycles will fit, but I have never seen a photo (offficial or otherwise) of anyone trying that: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...6&mime=ASC

Quick Reply: can bicycles fit inside a 2007 Outlander?