Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Can you sleep in back (with 2nd row seat up)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Smile Can you sleep in back (with 2nd row seat up)?

I'm considering a '07-'09 outlander. I drove one just because they had it on the lot and WOW! it's got a lot in it for the money, and drives very nicely. Am also considering Subaru Outbacks and RAV4s.

But the big question is, with the 2nd row seat folded up, how much length do you have in the back? I'm just under 6 feet... can I fit laying down flat? I'd check myself but there are no Outlanders within 20 miles.

That's the only thing holding me back at this point. I know the front passenger seat reclines all the way, but the back is what I'm concerned with. Sucks that it doesn't have a level floor when the seat are folded, like the Outback and RAV4.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:30 PM

No, unless you fold down the 'tailgate' to make room for your feet.....or..head; which ever is the least uncomfortable

Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM

You have about 4 and a half feet (54 inches) with the tailgate closed. If you open the tailgate and put it down you add another 18 inches.

Reclining the front seat all the way back gives you about 60 inches.

Hope this helps, and you can't go wrong buying the Outlander.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the responses! If there's anyone who has actually slept in their's, how did it go? 4.5 feet does seem like it would be really pushing it.

Just looked at an '08 Rav4 and an '08 Outback today; they both had roughly 5.5 feet in back with the seats down, with the rav4 having and inch or so more than the outback. And with both one would be sleeping on the semi-soft backs of the seat, instead of the floor on the outlander.

I'm still drawn to the Outlander. Trouble is there aren't any in the immediate area for me to drive, besides an '09 based. After seeing all the gadgets that come on the LE, let alone XLS, I can't get myself to go with the ES.

Does anyone have any comments on road noise at highway speeds? That's my only other concern. I like a quiet car.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Road noise is about average in my ES. Most of the noise that I do get comes from the Yokohama Geolanders that came on my Outlander. Obviously I can't comment on the upgraded tires that come with the higher end Outlander models.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
You have about 4 and a half feet (54 inches) with the tailgate closed. If you open the tailgate and put it down you add another 18 inches.

Reclining the front seat all the way back gives you about 60 inches.

Hope this helps, and you can't go wrong buying the Outlander.
With the 2nd seats folded the cargo length is 1650mm (64.9") with the tail gate closed. I think that's still tight for sleeping (5'5" in length). With the way the seats fold you gain cargo height but lose cargo length.