Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

cannot erase error code P1499

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 01:18 PM
Default cannot erase error code P1499

I have Outlander 2.2DiD from 2013, diesel (EU market).

I've got error code P1499. The temperature is too high on sensor No3. The sensor is broken, I knew it because of early code P1427. I've replaced temperature sensor, however, I cannot erase P1499 with M.U.T III. Any ideas why?

Maybe I have to tell ECU that temperature sensor has been replaced? Can it be done with MUT III?

Old 11-06-2021, 05:33 PM

There is an initialzation function on the MUT that you need to reset when a sensor is changed. A lot of other bi_directional scantools can do this, but they are normally not cheaper ones.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:53 PM

Thanks @DibbyDibbyDJ !
Eventually I've found initialization, I initialized following items (I was not sure which one I need, so I did all DPF-related):
- DPF exchange service
- DPF malfunction service (whatever it is)
- DPF diff. pressure sensor

Only then I was able to erase P1499 error code.

Then I assumed that ECU will perform regeneration of the DPF automatically if I drive 25-30min or so. I was wrong, after some time today I got "red" message about DPF service and then engine check lamp turned on together with limp mode...

I re-initialized again, and performed forced DPF regeneration (yellow message "DPF service required" appeared on the instrument panel). After 30min of highway driving, the regeneration succeeded! Indeed, I've observed that DPF diff pressure was about 5 (idle) and sometimes up to 35 kPa while driving with 2 kRPM or more, and after regeneration was completed I've got 0.5-2 kPa while driving. So, something has burnt out there :-)

Now I'm happy and hope there will be no more problems.

PS: because I'm working with high-tech, test & production, high temperature technologies in particular, I know the real cost of and energy efforts to produce a ceramic or other high temperature products. That's a lot! Now, for my simple problem of having trouble with and replacement of one (out of three!) temperature sensors I have to go through so much pain, DPF regeneration procedures etc. I am lucky to have MUT-3 tool, otherwise it would cost me about $500-600 for the sensor replacement (here in Sweden), however, it is likely and I'm almost 99% sure that Mitsubishi authorized workshop would convince me to change the whole DPF filter for another $2000-5000. Now, to produce one DPF unit with high temperature ceramic filter is a huge energy consumption process, thus, high impact on environment! If I ask why do we have so complex DPF? Well, because there is a soot. Why do we have soot? Well, because there is EGR system which reduces fuel burning temperature (and we have to believe that it saves us from bad NOx-es) and, as a side effect, produces a lot of soot. Ok, so DPF will burn that soot, right? Yes, but then fuel consumption will rise (=a lot and every 600km)... and more CO2 pollution... and anyway, some unburnt soot will go through DPF ending up in environment.... and then DPF will be broken and workshop will replace it (with a new one which costs a lot in $$$$ + high impact into environment), and then soon a later my EGR system+air intake will be broken and clogged by soot.... etc....etc... Well, I will be forced to change my car... Sorry, but in this typical chain of events I do not see any win to neither my pocket nor to nature/environment... Wake up!

Last edited by daem0n; 11-08-2021 at 02:53 PM.