Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Car PC in Outlander '07

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Default Car PC in Outlander '07

Hi everybody,

I'm new here, I don't have a Mitsubishi yet but I'm planning to become the happy owner of an Outlander soon!...

I would be interested in installing a Car PC in my new Outlander and I am wondering if I could connect it with the Navi's central screen. Does the screen have an auxiliary-video input? Can it receive video signal from an external source somehow? A VGA connector or a HDMI maybe?

Would I be able to access the built-in Hard Disk for my own use?

Where could I find the exact specifications of the whole Navi - Stereo - etc system? (the one with the screen).

Thank you all for your time!

Nicolas

Old 11-05-2007, 11:16 AM
Default RE: Car PC in Outlander '07

I wish I could help you further, but all I know is that there is an aux input on the unit, since some of the guys in here have installed rear back up cameras. But I' 99.9% sure there is no VGA input there, I may be wrong, but I would highly doubt it. It would be much easier to buy a laptop, and atach one of those universal posts to the center console to hold it in place, similar to what cops use. That way you can rotate to your viewing or passanger, plus you get to take it with you when your done with your ride.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 AM

The Navigation unit has composite video & audio inputs near the ash tray. However, it will cease to display video when the vehicle is in motion, and currently there is no known reliable way to disable it.

There is another composite video input in the rear (in the wiring harness so you'd have to splice some wires) for a rear-view backup camera. This video will only display when the shifter is in "Reverse". In the outlander, I think there are additional wires for a rear screen system that I know absolutely nothing about.

The Hard Drive in the unit is locked per ATA Specification (similar to the xbox). See this post for information about how I unlocked it: https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_182503/tm.htm Note that although we got it unlocked, we haven't found anything useful to do with the data besides analyize the MMCS's filesystems, except maybe customize the screen background images (still on my TODO list to try).

Old 11-05-2007, 12:23 PM

OTO I do have a laptop and maybe I'll go with that... But it's a pitty to have a brand 7-inch LCD screen and still use an unhandy laptop...

Brian: thanx for the info. So one can use the RCA to display, say, images from their digital camera but not during the ride. It seems I'll have to wait for a way around or a hack. Ok for the HDD. If I manage to connect a car PC I won't need the MMCS's hard disk anyway.

Well the reason I'm asking all that is that I'm in Greece and I've learned that the Navi's maps only cover a slight portion of the country. Besides I already own a full coverage navi software for PCs that will work with car PCs as well.

Thanx guys! (If you find out where I can get more technical info about MMCS let me know...)

N.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:28 PM

(If you find out where I can get more technical info about MMCS let me know...)
This link has info poorly translated from Japanese, and some features (such as TV tuner) are specific to the japanese models, as far as I can tell.... but its a starting point for searching

Old 11-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Ok, I'll check it out, thanx!

N.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Regarding tv-tuner: Found this link, but have no idea how to connect it/use it:

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...f/06_tuner.pdf

Old 11-07-2007, 09:19 PM

The TV would have been a welcome addition to the MMCS feature, but if it will get cut off when the vehicle is in motion, then it's not be worth the extra $$ IMO. I was actually thinking of a smaller unit, similar to PCI TV tuner that was a module popped into the MMCS.