Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT Transmission problem

Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Default CVT Transmission problem

Looking for some advise. I have a 2007 Mitsubishi outlander xls that is starting to have transmission problems. Out of no where, rpms will jump dramatically like the car has been placed in neutral. Shifts are getting harder. I'm thinking my transmission is starting to go. I equate it to my motorcycle clutch I put in wrong one time and rpms would sky rocked over a certain point. Car has 90k on it, no warranty and don't want to get rid of it. However I don't want to throw 7k down on a new tranny if it goes. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM

The 2007 XLS never had a CVT. Can you confirm its the CVT or the 6 speed automatic? Can you manually shirt it to avoid this behaviour?

Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM

have you checked your fluid level? when did you flush the fluid last?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 PM

Fluid was just changed and replaced about a month ago. It is a CVT transmission and has the 6 speed shifters by the steering wheel. I did forget to mention something in the last post. I pulled a trailer a crossed a couple of states a few month ago and i believe the trailer was heavier than the XLS can handle. At one point we stopped and a rubber smell came over the car. Dont know if i damaged one of the belts in the CVT while pulling the trailer.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:46 PM

are you in the US? In the states, the 2007 model Outlander never had a CVT in any trim models. 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS 4dr SUV 3.0L V6 6-speed Automatic Features and Specs
2008 was first year to get the CVT in the ES and SE trims only. The LS & XLS had 6-speed auto in that year.

Check the fluid level to make sure you have enough fluid in it.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Default tranny Problems

I hate to tell you this but Mitsubishi is infamous for having lousy trannys. I have 2 Mitz (Galant and an Endeavor) and both trannys are awful. The Endeavors went out completely at 103K miles and both the dealer and Mitsubishi did absolutely zero to help -- even though the problem obviously started long before 100k when the warranty ran out.

I buy cars that I like over and over but these are that last Mitsubishis I'll be buying. And I've been warning as many people as I can not to buy these poorly designed money pits.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by MITZOWNER
I hate to tell you this but Mitsubishi is infamous for having lousy trannys. I have 2 Mitz (Galant and an Endeavor) and both trannys are awful. The Endeavors went out completely at 103K miles and both the dealer and Mitsubishi did absolutely zero to help -- even though the problem obviously started long before 100k when the warranty ran out.

I buy cars that I like over and over but these are that last Mitsubishis I'll be buying. And I've been warning as many people as I can not to buy these poorly designed money pits.
You signed up just to post something unrelated? Those cars never had the same amount of gears, let alone same transmission.

Both the 6 speed and CVT are made by Jatco, they are used in Nissans, Dodge, Jeeps, etc...none are Mitsubishi specific.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 AM

Yes perhaps its unrelated, but after the incredibly poor service and follow up I received from everywhere I turned at Mitsubishi it become my mission to get the word out whenever, and wherever I can to prevent as many people as possible from making the same mistake I did -- twice. While I intend no disrespect to you or any enthusiasts, I am somewhat proud of the fact that there's between 20-25 people I've successfully dissuaded from buying as Mitz.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MITZOWNER
Yes perhaps its unrelated, but after the incredibly poor service and follow up I received from everywhere I turned at Mitsubishi it become my mission to get the word out whenever, and wherever I can to prevent as many people as possible from making the same mistake I did -- twice. While I intend no disrespect to you or any enthusiasts, I am somewhat proud of the fact that there's between 20-25 people I've successfully dissuaded from buying as Mitz.
So it isn't the transmissions you are upset with...but the service you were provided? Like stated above, at least in 2nd gen Outlanders, transmission is a Jatco used in a few other brands.

I think it is well documented that Mitsubishi stealerships don't always have the greatest service track record...a big reason I wrench on my own and it runs like a top. My last Mitsu ('93 Eclipse) was retired at 240k miles on the clock.

I think if you can get past the 50k-60k mile marker, you are out of the woods for major mechanical issues, if you maintain your vehicle properly...with a few oddball exceptions across the board.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM

Have you done all the fluid change (every 30k)?
The (6 speed auto) transmission in the V6 Outlander is good quality but the fluid changes are vital for it's longevity.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVT Transmission problem