Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM

My GPS is not working.

Can anyone tell me the Port Number and baud rate it uses please, I will add it to my sys.txt file and see how it goes.

All fixed, Port 2 baud rate 9600

sys.txt

[gps]
port=2
baud=9600
source="nmea"

Last edited by oldsalt; 11-28-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 PM
ash

My new 800x480 Unit arrived today. It was collected from Hong Kong on Saturday and delivered Monday, well done DHL. This unit is a bit more complicated that the other one. You have to take off the fixing brackets from the cars original unit to mount it and there's a lot more cables to connect. Anyway it was all pretty straight forward (which is good as there's no installation manual included) that is until I came to plug it the large white connector into the cars wiring harness connector. It seems to fit but would only go part way in and wouldn't go in any further. The connector is almost identical to the one supplied on the previous Chinese unit, which is a slightly looser fit but clicked together without a problem. I must have tried about twenty times, but it just wouldn't go in. It was as if the pins weren't aligned properly, so I had to take the unit out and reconnect the other one. I will email Michael at CompuCN tomorrow, as I don't have his email on this PC, hopefully he has got a solution.

Last edited by ash; 12-07-2009 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Photo added
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM
ash

Manged to get things working. Had to cut away the plug surround so it would connect and then secure with a zip tie. Working fine now. Quite impressed with the screen, less impressed by the RDS Radio, which just displays the radio name in pretty small print in the top right of the screen.

Will report back on the GPS Navigation, once I've transferred the files to a Micro SD Card. Not tried the Ipod Connector yet.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the Updates ASH, Your reports are really good. Potential new customer in myself for the unit....

Old 12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
ash

Having fun with the Navigation Software. I thought I could just copy the IGO8 files over from my old Card and pop them onto the Micro SD Card (which is a bit of a stupid size to use as they are so small and fiddly) On loading IGO8 it kept stopping on one of the startup screens, seems I should have deleted the 'save' folder first (I think). Anyway my Micro SD Card Adaptor (which allows it to fit in a normal PC SD Slot) broke, so I have ordered a couple more off ebay, but they wont be here for a few days.

Will plug in my ipod tonight and see how that goes and will try a DVD and see if I can get anywhere with the TV.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
ash

Originally Posted by oldsalt
Draeger I need you assistance again please.

I think it may have something to do with the brake (brown) wire? I didn't fit the brake wire to anything, should I?
I guessed the solution to this one and I was right first time. All you need to do is ground the parking wire out. I just connected it to the chassis of the unit and I can now watch movies.

DVD playback and picture quality is very good indeed.

Also plugged my Ipod in and while it plays tracks okay (and will hopefully keep it charged up) the Menu Button doesn't seem to do anything, not sure if I have missed anything.

The DVB doesn't seem to do anything, don't know if it needs something else plugged it. The unit came with a separate TV Tuner and lead, but I guess that's an analogue one and I haven't bothered connecting that yet, especially as we no longer have no analogue TV signals where I live and it looks like you have to connect some type of aerial in there as well.

Below is a photo of all the stuff that arrived in the box.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:56 AM

Hi Ash: Where did you buy this unit from? Would you know the name of the ipod cable? Mine didn't come with the ipod connector/cable.

DVB. You will need a DVB-T tuner. That analog tv receiver box will not work with your DVB. My installer connected it to the AUX and that DVB-T tuner will come with its own remote control. I couldn't use the DVB from the unit menu. I had to go to AUX option and control the DVB via the remote control supplied.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 AM

I just read your previous post. I bought it from Michael from Compucn too but he didn't send me the ipod cable. When i asked him about it he told me they were updating the cable that's why he didn't send me one.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 AM
ash

To be honest I'm not that bothered about the TV Function whether it's Digital or Analogue, I just don't think I will use it. I got it mainly for the GPS / Radio and IPOD Control Functions.

There are no markings on the cable other than the on the black box that the cable goes through which says it contains a fuse and filter.

A quick Google came up with this page, which may have a cable that will work.

http://www.davidnavone.com/cart.asp?24&cat=4

Off the top of my head, I can't remember how many pins the cable connector has.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 AM
ash

Just finished installing the IGO8 Software with help from:

http://www.gpsunderground.com/forums...ad.php?t=10726

All working fine now and I would say a definite improvement over the other Unit I have. No blurring round the edges of the place names and such like. Not had chance to have a drive yet, to test it out properly but will on the way home from work later.

On my old unit I used to leave the magnetic GPS Receiver on top of the unit as it was metal and it picked up a signal without a problem, but on this unit it wont, so I moved the receiver to a metal bar back behind the unit and it seems to pick up signals now okay.

The RD Radio works fine, but as I said in a previous post not too impressed that the Radio Station name is just presented in the top right in fairly small writing.

Overall despite the problem I had with the connector (which may be a one off) I am very pleased with the unit. It is a much better and more thought out system than the other unit. The UI is so much nicer to look at and use, it still has it's problems such as the RDS Display and that the Ipod Menu Button doesn't seem to do anything. I have only just removed the plastic film from the screen and the display looks even better now.

This unit cost me just over £400.00 (about US$650.00) which is pretty good value for money considering what it can do and how much the Mitsubishi one is.

Paired with Sat Nav Software and an Ipod, well worth getting.

Quick Reply: Chinese DVD / Radio / GPS Installation