Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Consumer Reports review

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:56 AM
Default Consumer Reports review

I've always been a fan of Consumer Reports and their research on various products, HOWEVER, I've never been a big fan of the way they rate cars and computers. They seem to be very biased towards manufacturers and don't look at all of the things us consumers see in a vehicle.

Having said that, their latest issue reviewed the Outlander and gave it an OK review. Of course, they are completely focused on the plastics in the interior (which in my mind, are not that bad compared to the Toyotas and Hondas out there). They rate the RAV4 high, with the Santa Fe close behind.

Despite seeing the reviews, I bought my Outi anyway. I could not stand the RAV4, and did not even look at the Santa Fe past the exterior of the thing. But in the end, the features of either of these cars did not stack up for me, but the Outi had it all.

Anyway, CR just released their "log book" of what their drivers thought of the Outi when taking it for a spin. They have the XLS 4x4 model with NAV....

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...ishi_outl.html

Don't take much from this, they are still mostly going off on the interior.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Consumer Reports review

"The [transmission] paddle shifters work well but are always active, so they can easily be nudged by accident."

"Front seatbacks are hard...like a board."

"Doors sound tinny and take a slam to fully shut."

What outlander was this guy test driving? Doors hard to shut? Seats are hard like a board? You can nudge the paddle shifter easy? You have to pull it toward you to start. Total idiots once again.

Oh can we top it off with a real big company "consumer reports" making a spelling error in this line. Makes their review go down the drain when you can't complete a simple spell check.
"Good-looking vehicle overall.Nnice size with sporty pretense, but a stiff ride and elevated road noise detracts some."

Old 04-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Well on my OutlanderI have to pull/push the doors harder than I'd like. There have been many times that I did not get the door shut. I'm use to cars that if I barely put any pressure on it the door closes with ease.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:52 AM

"Outlander is not quite as well rounded as the best in this competitive class, such as the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Forester."

I'm not sure exactly where the Outlander is deficient, but well-rounded apparently = generic and overpriced.

I can see where each comment comes from..but most are subjective and minor in my eyes. The one thing I really agree with is the seat heater switch

Do you think they complain to Subaru about not having a on-demand AWD? That's actually a FEATURE people DESIRE LOL. On Demand systems can respond after you get into trouble. Mitsubishi needs to play this advantage!

The upper door trim could use a littletweaking, it was one of the first things I noticed...The Lancer GTS chrome door handle mod would help..perhaps with a brushed aluminum instead of chrome..

The rest of the interior is very good. Personally, I found the black and with leather to really richen it up. The CRV's is pretty nice, but the RAV4 didn't impress me (nor do any Toyotas)

I personally think it's a great vehicle with eye-catching styling and a sporty feeland the Value is outstanding. I have no regrets

Old 04-28-2007, 02:39 PM

So what is so bad about the plastic interior? The stuff seems pretty hard core. You wont see that ripping or tearing like fabric and leather. Nor will it stain if you spill some soda on it.
The doors, I guess they never drove a 70 chevelle, late 80 or early 90s firebird, a full size work van I mean does he want the door to close for him? I never shut the outlander door and had to open it and try again. Everything that article has in it just pisses me off everytimeI read it.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 PM

"The [transmission] paddle shifters work well but are always active, so they can easily be nudged by accident."

Easily nudge by accident? Total nonsense. It takes a fully extended 4 inches finger to reach those paddle shifters. Unless they were driving with their fingers extended. Those are BS comments IMO.

"Spins wheels easily in front-wheel drive in the wet. Why not just have a mode that is on-demand AWD and leave it at that?"

Uhmm, why not leave it 4WD Auto? that's the closest you can get to AWD on-demand. Have these idiots even read the manual before they jump in and drive the vehicle?

Tinny? A slam to shut? Aren't all car doors like that?

Old 04-28-2007, 07:32 PM

dont know about you guys... but Im burning down that damn company...
i hate that people are giving negative reviews of the outlander.. it is the most innovative suv on the market

Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 PM

I've always said..I'll trust Consumer Distort's car reviews when we start driving Dishwashers.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:03 PM

amen to that.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:41 AM

"Front seatbacks are hard...like a board."
"The ride is too stiff and jiggly for me."
From the statements above, the guy must be an old man with back problems. I don't find the seatbacks hard at all and even more, they feel comfortable to me.

"Good-looking vehicle overall. Nnice size with sporty pretense, but a stiff ride and elevated road noise detracts some."
Good handling comes with a stiffer ride isn't it? You feel the road, but this is normal in a sporty ride.

This guy definitely is a Camry type; he must like a floaty and cushy ride, but not everybody likes that.

"Spins wheels easily in front-wheel drive in the wet. Why not just have a mode that is on-demand AWD and leave it at that?"
Which car doesn't spin the wheels in FWD on wet pavement? This is why you have the 4WD and especially the system in the Outlander which is proactive and controllable by the driver. Who else has that please? RAV4, CRV, Santa Fe? Nope.

"The 'Mitsubishi Multi Communication System' is a mess to use: no volume or tune *****; an unintuitive radio scan button; tiny on-screen lettering; glare (too much); brightness (too little)..."
Volume control and radio scan functions are on the steering wheel dude, right at your fingertips.

The damn doors are bigger and therefore heavier than a car door, so you may need to push it harder, but "slam" it? Nope.

Aren’t you supposed to hold a paddle down for few seconds or move the floor shifter in the manual mode in order to activate the manual gear shifting?

I really hate these full of crap reviews. Just came home from a drive around the city: the Outlander is a blast to drive. And yes, it is comfortable.
Watch the Long-Term review on Edmunds, those guys tend to write crap too. At least you could comment on their blog.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports review