Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Crazy electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Default Crazy electrical problem

My 2004 Outlander started a strange action.
For a couple of weeks the AM band on the radio has had an occasional whine
like a turbine spooling up.
Yesterday it was warm enough here to need the AC. When I turned on the AC, the wipers and squirters activated and wouldn't turn off until I turned the AC off.
Ok, stop laughing....
It's gotten so that when I turn on the AC the wipers will cycle once, and then again in a couple of minutes, once, etc. etc. I've manipulated all the controls to no avail. A short ? Where ? I know that if a garage troubleshoots something like this, it could cost more than the car is worth.....

Old 03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Default Electrical problem

Did you ever find the cause of your problem. I have the same issue with my wifes 2003 outlander. I have replaced the fan module 3 times. Everytime I replace it, it corrects the problem anywhere from 3 days to two weeks and returns. Let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

The EXACT same issue? YIKES!

Since the guy only has 1 single post, I can only think that he'll never be back here to respond.

You need to find out why it's burning out those modules, the problem is somewhere else.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM

It is a crazy problem. I have found 2 other posts elsewhere online with no problem found. From my research I think the cause is an aftermarket module. I will purchase a factory one tomorrow and find out and post the results.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
Banned

That could be the problem.

The problem could also be something as simple as a switch overloading the circuit.

Try and make a note of everything you do with regards to it. Play with the wipers and squirters many times, then try the A/C. If those things cause it to fail, then maybe there is actually a problem with them.

Something is killing it, you've just got to figure out what is doing it.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:28 PM

if you are hearing a whining in your radio, that's generally a bad ground for the radio. If you are having other electrical problems, maybe look closer at the battery ground strap, or some of the grounding wires for some of the systems being affected.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ccernst
if you are hearing a whining in your radio, that's generally a bad ground for the radio. If you are having other electrical problems, maybe look closer at the battery ground strap, or some of the grounding wires for some of the systems being affected.
I highly agree.

Whining is 90% of the time a ground, and a bad amplifier the other 10%.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM

All grounds are good and no noise from the radio. Already checked all connections at power distribution box, battery, fan assy, washer circuitry, etc. All good contacts.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Default Me too!

Yesterday, I posted my experience with this same problem at
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=38906
and have seen no replies yet.

I haven't replaced anything yet, and I don't know whether the previous owners ever replaced the fan control module that was recalled.

Anyway I'm studying the electrical wiring diagrams to look for clues.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:30 PM

I have installed an OEM fan module from Mitsubishi and so far the problem has been corrected.
I did have erratic fan operation several years back which is when I originally had the module replaced under the dealer recall. I since had the fan assembly replaced with an aftermarket assembly that comes with an aftermarket module. It appears that the aftermarket module cannot withstand the heat for more than a couple days and will fail. I will see how long this new OEM module lasts.