Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT proven or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Default CVT proven or not ?

Obviously the CVT has not been around very long - but how has it held up so far? (Obviously proper maintenance is optimal.)
But, due to the relative newness of this transmission - is it a good idea to get a warranty past the 60K miles expiration date just because it's a new transmission?
Or, are they proven to be solid by now?
Thanks!

Old 03-14-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Silent Seed
Obviously the CVT has not been around very long - but how has it held up so far? (Obviously proper maintenance is optimal.)
But, due to the relative newness of this transmission - is it a good idea to get a warranty past the 60K miles expiration date just because it's a new transmission?
Or, are they proven to be solid by now?
Thanks!

I think that CVT's are alot better now than in the initial stages. I have heard that most people find them hard to get used to...Im not one of those. The trend for car makers is that the CVT's are here to stay. Ive had 5 Mitsu's and never any tranny problems. I do maintain my cars by the book...so that might be a factor. The fluid is the key with CVT's I think...dont cheap out on changing it and you should be fine.

Mitsu has the 160 km (100,000 Miles) Powertrain Warranty as long as it is maintained..should be ok.

Best of Luck with your car

Last edited by Lancerguy2013; 03-14-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:46 PM

Thanks!
Mine is a 2013 if that makes a difference.
Here in the USA, the original owner gets 100K miles on the warranty - I'm the second owner - so the warranty ends at 60K including the powertrain, which is why I'm asking.
Thanks!

Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 AM

I wasn't aware that the warranty worked that way in the USA...not the case here...the warranty is transferable. I think with proper maintenance you can drive these cars for a long time...It always depends on how long you actually want to keep it for. Best of luck !

Old 03-15-2016, 06:17 AM

Unfortunately yes. And I certainly plan on keeping it past 60K miles which will happen within a month or two - I drive approx 75-100 miles each day.
This is why I'm asking if this transmission has proven itself yet.
Thanks!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:54 PM

I too drive about the same mileage on my daily commute to and from work.
I think highway miles are better for any vehicle than stop and go...I'm not worried about mileage at all...my vehicles are maintained and have never let me down....except for a couple of 90's GM products..but I will say no more..

I would say just drive it..enjoy it..maintain it..should last you a good long time...Cheers!

Old 03-18-2016, 08:50 AM
Kip

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
I wasn't aware that the warranty worked that way in the USA...not the case here...the warranty is transferable. I think with proper maintenance you can drive these cars for a long time...It always depends on how long you actually want to keep it for. Best of luck !

I just bought a used 2012 outlander and yes the warranty is transferable in Canada IF its a certified pre owned and under 5 years old when purchased. Which basically means bought used from a mitsu dealer. Otherwise only the 5 year bumper to bumper is transferable. I just about returned mine when I read the warranty stuff from the US and thought the dealership fleeced me about the warranty so I spent quite a bit of time looking into it.

Last edited by Kip; 03-18-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM

Mine was also a certified, one owner - but no; the 100K applies only to the first owner. I asked the dealership where I do my services.
Can you tell me where you found this information?
The owner's warranty manual does say first owner only, for the 100K.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Kip

Right here on the mitsubishi canada page.

https://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/pre-owned/

Old 03-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Oh - Canada - Not the US.

Quick Reply: CVT proven or not ?