Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DIfferent Hitch's????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Default OEM hitch

I purchased Mitsu OEM hitch and harness from dealerfit.com, less than actual dealer, but more that CURT or Drawtight. I had purchased a CURT and Drawtight and had to return both for they were incorrect hitches and the wiring was an aftermarket, causing me to "cut" into the factory harness if I was going to use. If you have 2012, the 2011 hitch will work, when ordering the wiring harness, it will ask you to select 2012.

Mitsubishi Outlander Trailer Hitch Harness at Dealerfit.com

This one fits great, only had to remove rear muffler rubber hanger and in it went. Out of box and installed hitch in 26 mins, pry bar and 1/2 ratch, four inch extention with 17mm socket.

R/

OC

lscmoc@yahoo.com

Last edited by oconnorb2012; 02-08-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Post 2012 OEM hitch

This OEM kit comes with everything, I will measure the receiver height tomorrow and post. It looks like a "S" curve receiver, interesting look.

It is 22.5 inches to the top of the 2" ball to the floor, good height.

Attached Thumbnails DIfferent Hitch's????-outlander-hitch-003-web.jpg   DIfferent Hitch's????-outlander-hitch-011-web.jpg   DIfferent Hitch's????-outlander-hitch-009-web.jpg  

Last edited by oconnorb2012; 02-08-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 06-29-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by oconnorb2012
This OEM kit comes with everything, I will measure the receiver height tomorrow and post. It looks like a "S" curve receiver, interesting look.

It is 22.5 inches to the top of the 2" ball to the floor, good height.

Does your OEM hitch interfere with the tail gate flip down? Looks like the it may touch the gate when you open it.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Yes it does. I replaced mine with a longer version with a 2 inch raise to suit my trailer.

You can chose the raise that suit you or your trailer.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM

So I found these new cars from dealers with the port installed OEM tow. I wasn't looking FOR them but sometimes they just come with it.

Do they stick out this much or is it just the picture.

because from oconnorb2012's picture his seems a bit more tucked in.

When buying new is the harness also installed already?

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 06-29-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM

They do stick out that much because it is made of a 3" pipe and has to clear the spare tire under the car.
After market don't care about squeezing the spare to the point of difficult raising or lowering but OEM have no choice, since it will be a warranty claim, they have to give more room.

It also intimidate the idiots who are learning to "sound" park their lowered Civic or Acura, at least in the back.

Harness is usually included unless the original buyer asked for "no harness" because he used the hitch for bike rack only, but I suspect this is rare.
If new, 4 pins harness is included.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
They do stick out that much because it is made of a 3" pipe and has to clear the spare tire under the car.
After market don't care about squeezing the spare to the point of difficult raising or lowering but OEM have no choice, since it will be a warranty claim, they have to give more room.

It also intimidate the idiots who are learning to "sound" park their lowered Civic or Acura, at least in the back.

Harness is usually included unless the original buyer asked for "no harness" because he used the hitch for bike rack only, but I suspect this is rare.
If new, 4 pins harness is included.
So I can leave the hitch receiver square with a cover and no ball installed? as long as it doesn't affect the tail gate I am ok with it. I plan to use it with hitch bike rack but I may also tow in the future. (I am new to hitches)

Old 06-29-2012, 07:45 PM

It would work for you, the way you are describing it.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM

What is that "wing" above the receiver hitch for? to loop in some kind of safety chain?

I'm thinking of buying that car and was wondering if the tow kit reduces ground clearance or affect the car's handing. Looks like it weights alot.

Are you saying the aftermarket hitches like Curt hinder the removal of the spare tire?

By the way I am not sure if the rear park sensors for the car is useful or useless in this case, the hitch sticks out a bit. I noticed the outlanders that came from factory tow kit installed always also get the parking sensors added. Maybe helps you not the back the hitch into a wall as the sound is supposed to beep solid when it is about 1 foot away.

I have also verified the tow kit option from factory includes the harness. It's definitely ready to tow not just for bike racks.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 07-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT
What is that "wing" above the receiver hitch for? some kind of safety backup chain?

I'm thinking of buying that car and was wondering if the tow kit reduces ground clearance or affect the car's handing. Looks like it weights alot.

Are you saying the aftermarket hitches like Curt hinder the removal of the spare tire?

By the way I am not sure if the rear park sensors for the car is useful or useless in this case, the hitch sticks out a bit. I noticed the outlanders with tow kit installed always also get the parking sensors added. Maybe helps you not the back the hitch into a wall.
Wings or the perforated top plate is to attach safety chains when you tow and also has an anti skid cover so you could use it as a step.

In fact it help the handling as most of the Outlander weight is on the front.
and it does not reduce the clearance as the spare and the muffler are a bit lower, but it might reduce the departure angle if you do mountaineering with your Outlander.

Some do, some don't and there is numerous remarks about this on this very forum as build consistency seem a problem.

I don't have the sensor and never hit anything I suspect that Hitch and sensors are part of the optioning done by dealers to increase profit also some peoples have a hard time with the vertical back light in term of spacial reference hence the sensors.

Quick Reply: DIfferent Hitch's????