Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Do you guys notice on the Outie.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Default Do you guys notice on the Outie.....

Is it just me, or is it Mitsubishi had their body colour and their front and rear bumper colour different
When I look at my outlander, the rear bumper is darker than the body colour. The front bumper is darker too, but not that visible.
Do you just see this.

I look at some picture online for the outlander, and I also see some cars have rear and front bumper's colour a little off from the body.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Default RE: Do you guys notice on the Outie.....

Hi ShortyRider. I saw the same in my Out and first that I did she was to visit my to dealer to see if the models in exhibition room were with this situation, so I let worry about the subject once I noticed that all the Out was same. . .

Old 12-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Paint is very difficult. Parts are painted usually at different locations. Humidity and temperature can have small effects on painted pieces. Also the bumpers are urethane plastic, where the rest of the vehicle is made of metal. And the paint can have some different effects to the surface as well.

Basically, if the entire vehicle and ALL parts are NOT painted at the same time, in the same place, they are not going to have a 100% match. And since they are not painted like that, the match is more like a 95% match, which the industry takes as adequete...

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 PM

For what its worth I have the diamond white pearl andI can't see any noticable difference.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM

Yea, you guys are probably right. I notice that the front and rear bumper's are originally gray (from paint chips I had with people hitting my Outie =< ). Since I have a gray Outie, and the bumper is orginally gray itself, that makes it prob. even in the darker side of gray, while the body colour is maybe a little lighter.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM

I noticed the same thing as ShortyRider with my Outlander. There's a slight variation in color with the bumpers. I noticed we all have the 2007 model.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:06 AM

i have white pearl. cant see even a tinge of difference at all

Old 12-08-2008, 03:17 PM

I just went out and checked it and didnt notice any differnece

Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM

I've got the 2008 LS model in red back in May this year, noticed the difference straight away and eventually got the dealer to get the bumpers re-sprayed to match better after going back to the paint manufcaturer (Dupont) and getting Mitsubishi's loss adjuster up from Montreal. This took a few months to resolve. Reason given for original difference is different factories paint the body and bumpers, also going to water-based paint makes it harder to match apparently. It also means that the paint chips muchmore easily as it is thinner than oil-based paints. I noticed the same issue with all the 2008 Outlander colours in the showroom, and even the Evo, so it's a paint supplier and quality control issue. Look at a Ford or Chevrolet with colour-coded bumpers and the issue is not there, that was my supporting argument to the dealer who was pretty good about the whole thing.

Recommend that you go back to your dealer and fight your case. Good luck!

Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 AM

My Charcoal Grey "07 matches just fine.

You want to see a car with colors that do not match, do a search on Imola Yellow 2003 20th Anniversary VW GTIs. Now those had paint that didn't match worth a damn! I have one, so I know first hand.

Quick Reply: Do you guys notice on the Outie.....