Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Default engine light on

Hey all,

have a 2009 outlander with about 130000km v6 model.

My girlfriend just called and said the outie CEL is on. She said it felt like it was struggling and she said she feels like she has to rev the engine more to keep it going.

I have noticed a major drop in mpg lately (but it did get VERY VERY cold lately). OF course this happened when I'm away for 5 more days.

Any guesses? I told her to get it scanned somewhere tomorrow. That's all the info I have

thanks everyone

Old 01-30-2014, 07:18 PM

bad injector? not sure. the code will really help

Old 01-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Cylinder 5 misfire.

The local guy didnt clear it and suggested taking it to mitsubishi as it is still under warranty.
Are they just going to clear it??? We had a random misfire last year.

Any idea what they can do? Is the 5th cylinder easily accesible?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Did you look into the pdf service manual on thw forum? Id look but im on the phone

Last edited by boogunoogun; 01-31-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM

Is it still happening?

If the problem is gone they may just clear the code and ask you to wait and see if it reoccur..

Old 02-01-2014, 12:54 PM

If still under warranty, let the stealership deal with the issue. if not, then I'd ID cylinder #5 and swap the coil pack with one at least on the front of the engine and see if the issue moves. If it does...then you just have to swap out the bad coil pack. might not be a bad idea to check your plugs.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
If still under warranty, let the stealership deal with the issue. if not, then I'd ID cylinder #5 and swap the coil pack with one at least on the front of the engine and see if the issue moves. If it does...then you just have to swap out the bad coil pack. might not be a bad idea to check your plugs.

It did go away but I have the readout of the scan. The stealership won't do anything since it went away. Even if it stayed, all they did the last time was reset the code. I am assuming coil packs, spark plugs are not uner the powertrain warranty (That's the only one I have left)

NOt sure which one #5 is, but I heard 3 cylinders are impossible to reach.....

Old 02-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Make sure it's well documented... That way if you get out of warranty and it gets worse it's an existing issue

Old 02-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Well, my gf only got the printout from the scanner which indicated the error, but doesn't have the vin# or our names on it. And of course the CEL went off a few days after. That's the second time this happened.

SO here is my question...

I am still under powertrain warranty. These codes (random cylinder misfire that happened a year ago and the #5 that just happened) could be caused by a whole bunch of things - lots of which are NOT covered under powertrain warranty (coils, spark plugs, O2 sensor, etc..)

I guess I am unsure how to proceed. The dealer will most likely not fix it under warranty and go exploring on my dime.

A local place could check plugs, coil packs, etc, but will that void any warranty for the powertrain?

Any ideas or suggestions?

thanks,
dave

Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM

Sucks to be #5. Per page 11B-24, #5 is under the intake plenum and furthest from timing belt (driver's side). So in order to test it, the intake plenum must be taken off. Not an impossible job and that action will definitely not void your warranty, so long as it is done properly. I'm sure the plugs would not be under warranty as they do wear over time, however the coil packs I would think would be under warranty. If you have a readout saying #5 is problematic, I'd first confirm that the coil pack is covered, then push to get it replaced by the dealership. If they refuse, then you call Mitsubishi Motors of North America and state you have a readout that states the coil pack is faulty and the dealership is refusing warranty work. That's what I'd do. If they still refuse, I'd even consult with a lawyer who does these types of lawsuits.

Removing the upper plenum involves removal of a lot of little things, but it is time consuming...and combined with labor rates...it'll add up. RockAuto has the coil packs ranging from $55 to $85. I wouldn't know if you can replace just one or you need to do all of them. I'd think since they are individualized, you can just do one.

Quick Reply: engine light on