Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Sucks to be #5. Per page 11B-24, #5 is under the intake plenum and furthest from timing belt (driver's side). So in order to test it, the intake plenum must be taken off. Not an impossible job and that action will definitely not void your warranty, so long as it is done properly. I'm sure the plugs would not be under warranty as they do wear over time, however the coil packs I would think would be under warranty. If you have a readout saying #5 is problematic, I'd first confirm that the coil pack is covered, then push to get it replaced by the dealership. If they refuse, then you call Mitsubishi Motors of North America and state you have a readout that states the coil pack is faulty and the dealership is refusing warranty work. That's what I'd do. If they still refuse, I'd even consult with a lawyer who does these types of lawsuits.

Removing the upper plenum involves removal of a lot of little things, but it is time consuming...and combined with labor rates...it'll add up. RockAuto has the coil packs ranging from $55 to $85. I wouldn't know if you can replace just one or you need to do all of them. I'd think since they are individualized, you can just do one.
That's the thing...mitsubishi has already said they don't know what would cause the misfire...might be a spark plug (not covered) and the coils are not covered either..this was echoed by a local mechanic saying that none of these things would be covered by a powertrain.

He said 1.5 hours labor to do all 6 sparkplugs and will swap a coil pack on the #5. If it is the pack, then whereever he swaps it too will throw a code later I am assuming. Pretty cheap labor ($65/h)

Basically mitsu won't cover it. I'm not really pushing this since it states in the book that things like spark plugs and such are not covered anyway.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 AM

I'd still verify with MMNA, but at $65 an hour that is pretty cheap. He's exactly right, If you are going to rip into the intake to get back there, might as well change out the plugs and move the coil pack to a front facing cylinder.

what kind of mileage do you have on yours by now? I changed my plugs at 105k and really noticed a boost in power. felt like a new vehicle.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I'd still verify with MMNA, but at $65 an hour that is pretty cheap. He's exactly right, If you are going to rip into the intake to get back there, might as well change out the plugs and move the coil pack to a front facing cylinder.

what kind of mileage do you have on yours by now? I changed my plugs at 105k and really noticed a boost in power. felt like a new vehicle.
130,000km. He said although the interval says 160,000km, he really suggested doing it now.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:14 PM

I'd do it too. it only makes sense to get in there once.