Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Engine Light ON with Throttle Body Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Default Engine Light ON with Throttle Body Cleaning?

I decided to clean my throttle body today with some proper choke cleaner.
Took out the rubber housing, clean the plate and the area, put everything back together.
Start the car, let it get use to it. Everything was fine. However, engine light came right on.
Drove the car around for 5 min or so. Engine light still on.

Does the computer need to be reset after throttle body service?
Anyone know why did the engine light came on?

Thanks

Old 10-17-2010, 08:24 PM

haha. No one reply to the post.
But anyways, the problem is now solved.
For those who want to know what happened.

I was pretty sure that I've done the whole service correctly. Therefore, I didn't created any leaks or anything that could of made the engine light came on. I went to auto parts store to have them scan the code, to see what made the light came on. The code was a misfire code. Then I relieved that when I start the car, it took twice for it to start, because there was still cleaner in the throttle body. At the first start, it didn't start, therefore made a misfire code for the engine. Once that happen, the engine took a freeze frame. This means that the engine remember the information when it didn't start. At the second start, it started fine, because the cleaner are already left. But the engine still have that data on their computer, therefore it will still have the engine light on, even though your car is running fine.

Erase the code, it shouldn't come back for this reason again.

Hope this help for some of you guys that plan to do Throttle Body Service themselves.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 AM

just saw it...my wife's Grand Am did that when I cleaned the idle air control. I didn't get all the cleaner out and engine didn't like it. Ran it for a bit, cleared the codes, all was well.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 PM

When is the right time to do throttle body service?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShortyRider
haha. No one reply to the post.
But anyways, the problem is now solved.
For those who want to know what happened.

I was pretty sure that I've done the whole service correctly. Therefore, I didn't created any leaks or anything that could of made the engine light came on. I went to auto parts store to have them scan the code, to see what made the light came on. The code was a misfire code. Then I relieved that when I start the car, it took twice for it to start, because there was still cleaner in the throttle body. At the first start, it didn't start, therefore made a misfire code for the engine. Once that happen, the engine took a freeze frame. This means that the engine remember the information when it didn't start. At the second start, it started fine, because the cleaner are already left. But the engine still have that data on their computer, therefore it will still have the engine light on, even though your car is running fine.

Erase the code, it shouldn't come back for this reason again.

Hope this help for some of you guys that plan to do Throttle Body Service themselves.
Good info! thanks