Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2014 Outlander PHEV - Single Battery Fault - Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 11:26 AM
Default 2014 Outlander PHEV - Single Battery Fault - Replacement?

Hello forum and thank in advance for your advice and expertise.
I am in the UK and have an ageing 2014 PHEV Outlander 3H. The small one and its been a great car. Recently while charging I got an error, there were 3 codes which I took to Mitsubishi main dealer and they confirmed it is a faulty cell. Their policy at the garage is to replace the entire pack, for the almighty sum of £8,500 plus labour. The car isn't even worth that so that is a hard pass.

They did say it is possible to replace individual cells, but were reluctant to advise on how or where to start, which is why I am in here hoping for some advice.
I am happy to spend the money to get the battery working, but as with any old car economies of scale exist and the less I can spend the better. I was hoping I might get some advice on how best to get this done, what I might expect to spend and of course how to find a suitable garage to take it to.

Thank you again.

Old 09-21-2023, 01:28 PM

Well, not every garage will be suitable for such job, unfortunately.

But let us know how you fixed the issue please.

PS: My friend, being working in industry, told me that even dealers and authorized workshops are having trouble finding and hiring specially trained people who is not just a mechanic, but a certified automotive electrician specialized on hybrids and electrical cars. That's why workshops replace the whole battery pack instead of repairing the old one. And as you said, they get paid more. Not mentioning the specialized equipment workshops need to buy for such repairs.

They force us to buy expensive battery pack or even to change the whole car. Either way, that will negatively affect the environment because lithium (+ bunch of other heavy rear-earth metals) mining business is very polluting. What a "sustainable" future we are moving to with this electrification utopia...