Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Factory non-Nav stereo can I add satellite?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Default Factory non-Nav stereo can I add satellite?

MY GF and I just bought a '09 Outlander ES. The head unit that came with it was advertised as a 6 disc changer but it was actually only a one disc that had the buttons for it. Still trying to get a little refund from the dealer. It probably has the convenience package because it has alloy wheels (I think they are 18s) the top rack etc...

Anyway not having the 6 disc doesn't bother me it was the SAT that we really wanted. I guess what I am wondering is if there is anyway to wire the factory radio for SAT.

We have a helix so its a portable player and I could just mount it but we would rather have it not in the way, and have to find places to hide the wires.

I guess the other question would be is if this is possible could I wire it for XM and not Sirius(even though they are the same company now).

Thanks

Old 04-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Yes, there is a spare connector, antenna wire, and a mount for the tuner behind the glove box. It takes 10 mins to install, if that at all. Mitsubishi only provides a Sirius tuner as far as I know...

Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM

You mentioned you thought you had the convenience package. I have an 08 ES with the package and it includes;
. Privacy glass on rear passenger windows and back window.
. Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****.
. Alloy wheels (mine are 16 inch).
. Roof rack.
. Seatback pocket on drivers side.
. Color keyed sideview mirrors and door handles.
. Steering wheel audio controls.
. Floor mats

Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by azjake
You mentioned you thought you had the convenience package. I have an 08 ES with the package and it includes;
. Privacy glass on rear passenger windows and back window.
. Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift ****.
. Alloy wheels (mine are 16 inch).
. Roof rack.
. Seatback pocket on drivers side.
. Color keyed sideview mirrors and door handles.
. Steering wheel audio controls.
. Floor mats

Yep that seems to be everything we have...

The dealer is looking into finding a 6 disc changer that they can install because they advertised the car with a 6 disc...we'll see what happens with that.

Would the radio only work with a Sirius tuner??? I found a new pioneer XM tuner on ebay for 20 bucks.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM

Because the tuner is a proprietary Mitsubishi developed one which interfaces with the radio over the CAN Bus. You can use any tuner if you want to listen to XM via AUX in. However, to get text and full integration into the stereo it needs to be a Mitsubishi tuner.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Because the tuner is a proprietary Mitsubishi developed one which interfaces with the radio over the CAN Bus. You can use any tuner if you want to listen to XM via AUX in. However, to get text and full integration into the stereo it needs to be a Mitsubishi tuner.

ahh ok....well looks like I will just go ahead and install a mount for my portable xm receiver and have it use the FM modulator...

maybe later on down the road I will get one of these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC....html?tp=20222

(saw it for 263.00 on ebay) then get the pioneer xm tuner for it.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:13 PM

Does the standard stereo have an aux in (it shows aux on screen)? If so do you need a special cable to connect to the stereo ? Do you have to pull the head unit and attach it to the back of the unit (like the ipod connector on the nav unit ) ? Any info would be great. I have an '07 Outlander LS with the single cd. I'd like to be able to connect directly my XM radio, HD radio , non ipod mp3 player individually instead of using the fm modulator (there are so few empty fm spots on the radio in my area , Chicagoland) Thanks for any info , I'm new to the forum, just got my like new outie last month.
Ricksler

Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ricksler
Does the standard stereo have an aux in (it shows aux on screen)? If so do you need a special cable to connect to the stereo ? Do you have to pull the head unit and attach it to the back of the unit (like the ipod connector on the nav unit ) ? Any info would be great. I have an '07 Outlander LS with the single cd. I'd like to be able to connect directly my XM radio, HD radio , non ipod mp3 player individually instead of using the fm modulator (there are so few empty fm spots on the radio in my area , Chicagoland) Thanks for any info , I'm new to the forum, just got my like new outie last month.
Ricksler

Well on our '09 there are AUX inputs on the back of the armrest at the bottom...have yet to try them, I need to get a 1/8 mini to rca first.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Default Auxilliary cable

My '07 LS doesn't have the aux. inputs on the back of the console,I have the single cd system and an aux cable install is required. I have found a factory auxilliary cable at mitsubishi parts.com for $36. I'll see how easy it is to install , probably this weekend. I'm also going to install an HD radio.