Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fastkey and Warming up

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Default Fastkey and Warming up

Quick question about the fastkey...

I know you cannot start the car without the key. However, once it is started the car will not allow you to lock the doors. So the question is if the car is started, but you take the key with you....can someone climb in and drive away even if the key is not in the car.

I assume someone could drive away...or does the fastkey system shut the car off if the key is not present and you try to drive away.

If it doesn't disable the car....how are people warming up their cars safely during the winter without having to sit in the car while it warms up (i.e. how do you lock the doors if the car is started?)

Old 02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Default RE: Fastkey and Warming up

Soon as they would hit the brake it shuts off, I havent tried it, but thats what I would think

Old 02-09-2008, 09:59 AM

I tried warming it up the other day, the info gauge center started warning of key fob location, so I assumed it would shut itself off if I walked away too far...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 AM

Um. Just a thought... Why don't you try it?

Old 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM

OK... so here's the deal. If you start the car and leave, you can still put it into drive and leave, the engine will not shut off, you will be able to drive like normal, until you shut off the car, at which point you will not be able to start it again. So if you are going to leave the car to warm up, I suggest that you lock it doing the following:
1. get in the car and shut the door
2. start the car like your usually do.
3. press the lock button and lock all of the doors (if they unlock, then the door is not shut)
4. open the drivers door and get out
5. shut the door and use the emergency key to lock the drivers door
and now the car is locked and running. When you come back, you will need to use the emergency key to get back in, as the FASTKEY system is inactive when the car is running.
Hopefully this clears some things up...

Old 02-09-2008, 10:45 AM

You can't take it out of park if the key isn't present.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Yes, you most certainly can, I tried it, I left my key at least 100 feet from the car and I could drive away, it worked just fine.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Now you all have me going out side to try this what the hell.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:42 PM

I had orginally thought there was a fault in my system given you could drive away without the key, but I guess not. Will just have to use the emergency key more often in the winter when it's -30C out.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:10 PM

Mine won't engage out of park when the key isn't in the car. I didn't try to force it in gear though, so maybe I was just being too gentle.

Quick Reply: Fastkey and Warming up