Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

File under stupid: Car alarm blinks the HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Default File under stupid: Car alarm blinks the HID's

Hi Everybody

I was testing out the motion detector car alarm the other day and noticed that when it's alarming, it rapidly blinks the HID's on and off...

Uneccessary, repeated strikes is bad for bulb life, no? Also, a just struck HID is super dim, making this simultaneously the worst and most expensive choice if you're looking to attract attention by blinking lights. Way to go, un-named Mitsu engineer! Your non-attention to detail is astounding.

Can I rewire/reconfigure the alarm to another set of lights? <longshot>Can anybody put me in touch with the engineering team responsible for implimenting the alarm/lighting interactions? I want them to be my facebook friends.</longshot>

Last edited by timbits; 12-06-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by timbits
Hi Everybody

I was testing out the motion detector car alarm the other day and noticed that when it's alarming, it rapidly blinks the HID's on and off... Uneccessary, repeated strikes is bad for bulb life, no? Also, a just struck HID is super dim, making this simultaneously the worst and most expensive choice if you're looking to attract attention by blinking lights. Way to go, un-named Mitsu engineer! Your non-attention to detail is astounding.

Can I rewire/reconfigure the alarm to another set of lights?
Yup, if necessary.... If installed properly, the Alarm should actualy be engaging or "supervising" the parking light relay/contacts.

Is your HID factory or aftermarket? What kind of alarm? did you install it? Sorry for the questions but to help you I need some help....

Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM

I should have specified.

It's a brand new 2010 XLS. Stock everything.

Last edited by timbits; 12-06-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:23 PM

I should have specified.

So, when factory alarm is err... alarming HID lights are trying to switch on and off?!

Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM

I should have specified.

Thanks for the reply. Does your Outtie have factory alarm and HID? I am guessing one is a NO. If so, I hate to knock the engineers of Mitsu, but it is obviously an oversight because it should not be like this. While a very poor (ilbeit easy) way to do a light flash on a factory alarm, your HID's should not be doing this. A stock alarm usually triggers the headlights but to me it is still a no no. Who is me? I have installed aftermarket alarms for almost 2 decades. I am not an engineer but I do know a little about the subject......

Answer my questions and I will do some research and help you from there. I suspect ONE of them is not a true factory install but a dealer add on. If it is the Alarm I can help you more, if not, I will still help you but will probably have to phone a friend..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
Thanks for the reply. Does your Outtie have factory alarm and HID? I am guessing one is a NO. If so, I hate to knock the engineers of Mitsu, but it is obviously an oversight because it should not be like this. While a very poor (ilbeit easy) way to do a light flash on a factory alarm, your HID's should not be doing this. A stock alarm usually triggers the headlights but to me it is still a no no. Who is me? I have installed aftermarket alarms for almost 2 decades. I am not an engineer but I do know a little about the subject......

Answer my questions and I will do some research and help you from there. I suspect ONE of them is not a true factory install but a dealer add on. If it is the Alarm I can help you more, if not, I will still help you but will probably have to phone a friend..
All Canadian 2010 XLS models have factory bi-xenon HID and enhanced security system.
No aftermarket, all factory-installed.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
All Canadian 2010 XLS models have factory bi-xenon HID and enhanced security system.
No aftermarket, all factory-installed.
Thanks for the answer Vadimus. I will have to do a little research on the vehicle wiring on this one to give a safe alternative. Unfortunately, this may not be easily possible or may not be possible without a major mod since I do not know how the stock security is wired/integrated. IF we were talking about an aftermarket alarm system; I would have already provided an answer for the OP but once OEM integration takes ahold...welll.....we will see.

I don't want a flame but I do have to say that this was a poor design on the Mitsubishi engineers part if this is the case. Sounds like the alarm is the same regardless of headlight option which is REALLY why they should have supervised the parking lights in the first place on the alarm instead of going with the "standard" "flash the headlights" circuit in the first place...........

Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by mahicks3322
Thanks for the answer Vadimus. I will have to do a little research on the vehicle wiring on this one to give a safe alternative. Unfortunately, this may not be easily possible or may not be possible without a major mod since I do not know how the stock security is wired/integrated. IF we were talking about an aftermarket alarm system; I would have already provided an answer for the OP but once OEM integration takes ahold...welll.....we will see.

I don't want a flame but I do have to say that this was a poor design on the Mitsubishi engineers part if this is the case. Sounds like the alarm is the same regardless of headlight option which is REALLY why they should have supervised the parking lights in the first place on the alarm instead of going with the "standard" "flash the headlights" circuit in the first place...........
I will try my security system tomorrow, if this issue is present I will definitely go to dealer to make them fix it. I do not want my HID lamp or ballast to be broken by 1 sec on -1 sec off cycles.

I guess it could be just wrong settings in ETACS. I do not have 2010 Coding List, like the one for 2007-2009 here (no translation needed this time).

Old 12-07-2010, 12:37 PM

I couldn't believe it either... In fact, in automotive engineering circles, they call this kind of design "retarded"

If anybody has the factory wiring diagrams, I'm sure I can figure out a fix. In the meantime, I won't be testing the alarm out anymore. I wonder if it blinks the lights when you arm/disarm it...

Last edited by timbits; 12-07-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I wonder if it blinks the lights when you arm/disarm it...
No, it doesn't.