Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Free Sirius for life (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/free-sirius-life-46602/)

onebadmofo 06-08-2014 01:55 PM

Free Sirius for life

Found this on Reddit, coincidently my free XM trial just ran out 2 days ago so I disconnected the XM module and antenna behind the glovebox right before that. We'll see in 2-3 months if it worked.

With all the buzz about the free XM radio, here is a tip so you can get it for free... forever.. From a former disgruntled XM employee

Take one of your inactive radios turn it on and let it update until it becomes active and put it on a station other than channel 1.
Turn it off and unplug all wires; antenna, power, ect.
Put it on a shelf for 2 months after the subscription ends.
Plug back in after waiting
Bam, free XM radio for life
Cheers,
-Former XM employee
Done this with 3 radios before, about to do it again
How it works
Now on to some fun facts about XM radio:
1) All radios in America are RECEIVING the XM signal. There are currently no means of shooting a signal down to a specific location…and this would be even harder to track in a moving vehicle.
2) Since every XM radio is receiving the same signal they all have to be using the same encryption and decryption keys. XM has a bandwidth problem. They can’t transmit the same channel at the same time with 2 different encryption keys .
3) Your XM unit is incapable of transmitting any signal. Unless you call in and bitch they don’t know whether or not you received the proper encryption signal or not. They have no way of knowing who is listening, what they are listening to, or if the unit is even turned on.
Now, about that bandwidth problem
This is how their activation / deactivation system works.
1) An encrypted signal for your XM unit along with several others is broadcasted continually for about 2 months to activate your unit. The instant you turn your individual XM receiver on, it grabs the XM signal and is given the go ahead to receive signal, until further notice.
2) Due to the bandwidth limitations after two months of plastering all of America with you activation signal they stop sending it, thinking that in the given amount of time you have surely received the signal.
3) When your subscription runs out another signal is again plastered over America specific to your unit that says quit receiving signal until further notice, for about 2 months. After two months the deactivation signal is no longer sent out. Now this is where the magic happens. If you were to purchase a one month trail of XM then cancel and remove all power to your unit for a little over two months, allowing the deactivate signal to be sent out but never reach your unit it would never know that it shouldn’t be receiving. Then you would have free XM radio for life

onebadmofo 09-29-2014 10:34 PM

Bumping old thread. I reconnected my Sirius module and it's been working for the past week whilst Sirius keeps sending me "Please come back" letters and emails :D

Definitely recommend this "mod" if you have patience and can survive on regular FM radio for 3-4 months.

Adrenaline 01-05-2021 11:14 AM

This is a really old thread, but how long did this actually work for you? I assume the kill signal finally got you.

copyboy311 01-13-2021 10:34 AM

Or you could just pay for a service that you value. You can get it for as little as 5 bucks a month. They do actually have staff to pay, and they do a pretty good job curating their channels.

onebadmofo 01-14-2021 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Adrenaline (Post 331927)
This is a really old thread, but how long did this actually work for you? I assume the kill signal finally got you.

About 2 years, I sold the car after.

kev994 01-16-2021 07:51 AM

I inadvertently did this, my dad gave me an old Sirius module circa 2006, he no longer needed it because his new truck came with it. When I hooked it up it just started working, lasted ~4 years or so until one day it just stopped. This finally explains why.