Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Front brakes- slide pin position (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/front-brakes-slide-pin-position-49526/)

danthe 03-27-2016 05:51 PM

Front brakes- slide pin position

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, I've replaced front brake pads,and slide pins on left side, and found in Mitsubishi ASA one confusing information- slide pins positions should be changed on vehicles produced prior to October 2008 Attachment 13588

After replacing pin positions, I often hear clicking sound after releasing brake pedal, so my guess is that I shouldn't replace pin positions... I have feeling that this position replacement should only be done when replacing calipers, as it is strange to instruct to suddenly change positions after 9 years (my Outlander is produced in 2007) :)

Did anybody had any experience with this, should I return pins as they were before replacing,or keep these positions?

ccernst 03-27-2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by danthe (Post 315175)
Hello, I've replaced front brake pads,and slide pins on left side, and found in Mitsubishi ASA one confusing information- slide pins positions should be changed on vehicles produced prior to October 2008 https://i.imgur.com/0falhjn.jpg

After replacing pin positions, I often hear clicking sound after releasing brake pedal, so my guess is that I shouldn't replace pin positions... I have feeling that this position replacement should only be done when replacing calipers, as it is strange to instruct to suddenly change positions after 9 years (my Outlander is produced in 2007) :)

Did anybody had any experience with this, should I return pins as they were before replacing,or keep these positions?

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. If it were my car, put it back. I've only had to replace one pin due to my lack of greasing them when changing pads.

danthe 03-28-2016 04:05 AM

First, thank you for reply. I've had to replace both slide pins on the driver side (also,forgot to grease them last time,and had to damage them in order to get out)... I got them out, and got pins on the other side out, and then I forgot positions of guide pin and lock pin (which one was up, and which one was down)- typical beginner mistake. So, I've checked in ASA,and found this OLD and NEW schematics,and placed slide pins like they wrote in this notification (guide up/lock down, instead of guide down/lock up). So you think I should return it to old positions?

ccernst 03-28-2016 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by danthe (Post 315178)
First, thank you for reply. I've had to replace both slide pins on the driver side (also,forgot to grease them last time,and had to damage them in order to get out)... I got them out, and got pins on the other side out, and then I forgot positions of guide pin and lock pin (which one was up, and which one was down)- typical beginner mistake. So, I've checked in ASA,and found this OLD and NEW schematics,and placed slide pins like they wrote in this notification (guide up/lock down, instead of guide down/lock up). So you think I should return it to old positions?

I would. what is the worst thing to happen? I've never moved mine in 180k miles...Brakes just fine..still on oem rotors.

danthe 03-29-2016 06:05 AM

I also have OEM rotors, but I'm planning to replace them next time I replace pads... The only reason why I'm hesitating to return old positions is that maybe these new pins are somehow different than old ones, and that maybe that is the reason why they asks to change positions :(

binzd 04-04-2016 12:26 PM

the first pad change I did, the wear was so uneven that I swapped the pins myself because I figured the factory made a mistake the top of one pad and bottom of the other pad were worn while the opposite end was almost untouched - instead of 0| |0 it was 0/ /0

(yes, Japanese companies do have lapse' in quality - I know, I work for one, in product engineering support)

anyway, the next set of pads was worn evenly but yes there is a slight clicking noise when a slight roll forward or backward, depending on which way you were travelling when applying the brakes, the next two changes the same thing

so my input is to have the rubber o ring on top, it's a bitch to get back in if you use too much grease on it, but sticks if not enough