Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Good deal on this 2010 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Default Good deal on this 2010 GT?

Hey guys, you can almost welcome me back to the family. Used to own 1992 3000GT VR4 years ago

So I found this

2010 Mitsubishi Outlander GT, $17,499 - Cars.com[1]

I went to look at the car today and was pleasantly surprised. The interior is very clean, the "typical wear out markers" such as window switches and steering wheel look almost brand new. Car was open and in the far end of the lot so I took my time with it all by myself. Even checked the engine, tranny oils and air filter, everything looks clean or recently serviced.
Car is completely loaded including keyless ignition, backup camera, nav, leather, etc.
Did a test drive and the car behaved very well. Unfortunately the salesman I was with only let me drive up and down the highway that's next to the dealership. But in those 5 minutes or so I didn't notice anything out of ordinary except maybe some wind noise at 60+ mph which I guess is normal coming from a compact.

Now correct me if I'm wrong - mitsu's 100k/10y powertrain warranty does not apply to me as it's only for 1st owner and is non-transferable? So the car will be on standard 60k/5y warranty for another year max and after that I'm on my own? I'm not a mechanic but can change my own oil and basic stuff like brakes. Have connections to a shop in case of major issues.

If I go with it here are my points during negotiation:
It appears they only have one key. Replacement is about what, $300?
Rear tires have maybe only few months left in them. OEM replacement is $180 each according to Tirerack.
Clear coat/surface scratches on rear bumper and front pass door.

And last and most important - it appears that the car has been sitting on their lot since last October (both Carfax and Autocheck show that). It's at Ford/Subaru dealership and they put it on the front row in between STi's and Mustangs so it's pretty clear that they just want to see it gone at this point and price.
According to the Carfax/Autocheck and Google they had it on the lot since October 2013 with starting price of 22.8k. Price is now $17.5 as you can see. One owner with no reported accidents. Dealer pics show 72 degrees and we haven't had temps like that... since well October. Also mileage has only increased by 6 miles according to the pics. Yes six miles in what, 6 months? So it had a test drive approx twice a month.

What should I offer for it? 16.5 and take 17? Paying cash.

KBB shows 20.5 for dealer purchase and 17.5 for trade-in so it appears that it's already a pretty good deal as is.

Edit: Completely forgot - coolant overflow tank was completely empty, it's not normal is it?

Last edited by onebadmofo; 03-05-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM

you are right, you'll only get 5yr/60k mile warranty.
Since it is at 47k miles, look to immediately change transmission, tcase, rear diff, brake fluid, and power steering. If you can do that yourself, sounds like you can, that shouldn't be more than $200.
As far as coolant, I'd open up the radiator and see how much coolant is in there. I'd also ask to take it out again, get it warmed up, then check your overflow. Mine is a bit on the low side when cold...I've been meaning to re-fill.

I'd go with your offer plan. That'd be a great vehicle for that price. Keep up on the fluid changes and it'll last a long time. There really haven't been major problems with these things yet. I couldn't be happier with mine...low maintenance and good performance/economy mix.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:34 PM

Got it for 17k. Picking up tomorrow

Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by onebadmofo
congrats ...post pictures soon/

Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by onebadmofo
congrats ...post pictures soon/

Old 03-12-2014, 01:48 PM

Here are the pics of the car as it sat on the lot, I was looking for all the flaws I could find, that's why the scratch and some rust on seat rail. Don't have any other pics at the moment

Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 PM

Has it got a full size spare tyre or a space saver? In the original dealer ad pictures it looked that it might have a full size spare.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:34 PM

Space saver I guess. Never saw full-sized in North America.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM

Is the seat rail rust a common "defect" on Outlanders? I spotted mine as well and the rust went up to the metal piece inside the seat.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by mopiki
Is the seat rail rust a common "defect" on Outlanders? I spotted mine as well and the rust went up to the metal piece inside the seat.
My understanding is that since it's right next to the cup-holder some drinks might simply spill onto the exposed metal. At first I actually thought a plastic trim piece was missing but then realized it's just the way it is.

As of the spare. I actually have no idea Will check tomorrow. Is it inside or outside under the rear bumper?

Quick Reply: Good deal on this 2010 GT?