Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

?Is It a good idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Default ?Is It a good idea

i want to paintmy calipers.
1. is it a good idea to do this ?
2. what kind of paint should i use?
3. does it mess up anything in my brake area

i have someone who kinda knows what there doing and who did this before

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Default RE: ?Is It a good idea

It's a fairly common "fashion" mod on a lot of sports cars. There are special paint kits that you can buy for painting the calipers, search the internet for "caliper paint" and you should find them. They work OK as long as you don't take your vehicle to the track and get the brakes really hot, which you probably won't be doing with an Outlander.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 AM
ash

Looking at how rough the castings are is it worth painting the calipers, would that not show even more how bad they look?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:00 PM

Well your going to need to take the calipers off if you dont want overspray going every where. Local parts stores carry engine paint or caliper paint, which is a high temperature paint. Either will do. A sealant would be a good idea, otherwise over time it will flake or chip and you will have to re-apply.

Good luck and post some pics if do it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:58 PM

They will make your rims stand out nicelly and its a fairlly cheap mod that will add sportyness to your car. However, from my experience on doing this in the past to my 04 ralliart, I will not do it again. Reason why is because after the first pad change there is no way around scratching the paint off and eventually having to strip and reedo the entire thing. But if you want a good 15,000 miles worth of cool looking brakes, go for it. Make sure you get the highest heat rated paint available, I got the stuff they sell on a kit and it worked wonders, until brake pad time of course, but yeah, also dont buy the spray on, get a brush on aplication, so you dont have to worry about overspray.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks for all your replys ihave a friend of mine who painted his ill ask if he had a hard time when he changes the pads

Old 02-26-2008, 12:17 AM

I painted the calipers red on my 07 outlander withcaliper spray paint. I picked up some caliper paint from autozone, don't remember which brand though. I painted mine when I rotated my tires and put 5 coats on. I had to tape around some parts of the caliper I didn't want painted and cover the whole car, but it turned outwith a nice and even coat.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:27 AM

Murray82,
Can you post some pics of your Outtie and the new painted calipers? A side shot of the wholevehicle if you can to see what it looks like overall. Also what color is your Outtie?
Thanx

Old 05-08-2008, 11:51 PM

Here are some pics of my painted calipers some with the new wheels and one with the old wheels. The side shot isn't the closest but you can still see the calipers.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Going to do mine when I get it. You can also get some Mitsubishi stickers on ebay which will go on that you can lacquer over to give it a sporty look.

Might do mine black or body colour for a more stealth look.

Quick Reply: ?Is It a good idea