Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Gracenote database / ripping audio CD's

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Default RE: Gracenote database / ripping audio CD's

The GraceNote Database is updated from time to time by Mitsubishi but :
cf http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/dow...n_mmcs_01.html

This update data contains information on music CDs released during specific periods and is frequently searched by Japanese users on the Gracenote website; it does not contain all music information for all regions. Consequently, music information for some CDs may not exist in the data
So, if the CD is new and is not CD Text, or is not so new but was not very popular among the japanese users, you may not find it in the database...
japan 1 - world 0 [:-]

Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 AM

That's a rip off. I guess if you want to listen to and memorize the song titles of William Hung's Greatest hits your aces, but for anything else we're screwed.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 PM

So I can do this on my own 08 with no consquences? Will it all be in japanese? Has anyone tried this yet on a 08 and noticed a difference? Will my warranty cover it if it pooches?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM

Just spoke with Southside Mitusbishi in Edmonton and they are trying to figure out why there is even a charge associated with this disc, it should be covered under the warranty, they are fighting with Mitsubishi Canada and I am not getting mine updated until there is some sort of resolution. I bought my 08 XLS 2 weeks ago, the update has been out for 1 month, so my vehicle should have been updated.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 PM

I think you're confusing two different things. One is the gracenote update (for music cd titles), which is free of charge (and available in english!); you just download the files from the link posted earlier and burn to a CD. The other is the navigation map data update, which is definately not free.

Regarding the gracenote update, I did try loading the japanese update on my system when it was first released (since it was out before the english update) and my system didn't even recognize the update disc. Once the english update came out, I tried again and it updated just fine and recognized a few new CDs.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 AM

Brian360,
You are talking about this link, righthttp://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/dow...n_mmcs_01.html

So i just copy the files to a CD and put in the MMCS...and it loads itself? Or will the MMCS prompt you to do something more?

Thanx

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM

If the update was released prior to me purchasing the vehicle (ie.. if the Nav update was released in Feb and I drove the XLS off the lot on March 20th) then they should have updated my navagation system free of charge. That's called being fair, why the hell should I have to pay for an update the moment a new car is driven off the lot, especially if the update is older than the day I bought the car.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Cuffy

Brian360,
You are talking about this link, righthttp://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/dow...n_mmcs_01.html

So i just copy the files to a CD and put in the MMCS...and it loads itself? Or will the MMCS prompt you to do something more?

Thanx
Yes, just follow the directions on that website. There are three files you burn on to a CD-R. Then a few seconds after you insert the CD into the MMCS unit, press "MODE" and press "CDDB Update" in the lower-left corner. After a few minutes the update will be complete and you can eject the disc.

Note that the system will still not recognize any cds made after the date of the update (In this case, March 2007 -- we should be due for a new update any time now).

To update the track titles of a CD that might not have been recognized before the update, start the Music Server, touch "^", go to Function Settings, Title Edit, Playlist, select an untitled CD, and somewhere there should be a CDDB button to scan for titles again.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: jnetter

If the update was released prior to me purchasing the vehicle (ie.. if the Nav update was released in Feb and I drove the XLS off the lot on March 20th) then they should have updated my navagation system free of charge. That's called being fair, why the hell should I have to pay for an update the moment a new car is driven off the lot, especially if the update is older than the day I bought the car.
Check when your car was built. It could have been built in 07, though you purchased it in 08. I know for a fact dealers will not update your Nav maps by default because they sell the CD updates, and leave you with whatever the factory version your car was shipped with. But if you knew there's a new map update before you got your vehicle, you could have asked them to throw in the updates as part of your purchase bargain.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

This is such BS, map updates or any updates for any electronics (minus sirius) should be included as part of the warranty package.
I guess its time to write Mitsubishi and complain, I feel ripped off.

Quick Reply: Gracenote database / ripping audio CD's