Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Headlights wont go off unless car is switched off (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/headlights-wont-go-off-unless-car-switched-off-53280/)

Subin 06-05-2019 11:25 PM

Headlights wont go off unless car is switched off

Hi Guys,

I have an Outlander 2015, since yesterday i have noticed that the low beam headlight wont go off unless i switch off the car completely. Earlier i was able to switch off the light by using the off option in the stick. Wondering if its some issue or or setting which i may have accidentally switched on. Has someone faced a similar situation ?

Thanks,

Subin

AWCAWD 06-10-2019 10:06 AM

Do you see the tail lights stay on as well? If not you most likely have DRL activated provided you have the non-HID version. Start the car with the parking brake engaged and check the low beam. If DRL is activated the lights should not come on just yet. Release the parking brake and you should see the low beam to illuminate at lower intensity but no tail lights. Engaging the parking brake again will not turn the low beam off unless you turn off the engine and start over. Turn on the headlights and the light intensity should get higher with the tail lights coming on as well.

Subin 06-24-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD (Post 327209)
Do you see the tail lights stay on as well? If not you most likely have DRL activated provided you have the non-HID version. Start the car with the parking brake engaged and check the low beam. If DRL is activated the lights should not come on just yet. Release the parking brake and you should see the low beam to illuminate at lower intensity but no tail lights. Engaging the parking brake again will not turn the low beam off unless you turn off the engine and start over. Turn on the headlights and the light intensity should get higher with the tail lights coming on as well.

Hi mate,
Thanks for your response. The low beam light and the parking lights turn on as in put my key in ignition. The won't go off unless i remove my keys. I had removed the battery connectors and let it rest for 5 mins then attached the wires again it seemed to solve the problem however only for a while and the problem is back to haunt again. You reckon you know why its happening ? And yes its a non HID version.

AWCAWD 06-25-2019 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Subin (Post 327330)
Hi mate,
Thanks for your response. The low beam light and the parking lights turn on as in put my key in ignition. The won't go off unless i remove my keys. I had removed the battery connectors and let it rest for 5 mins then attached the wires again it seemed to solve the problem however only for a while and the problem is back to haunt again. You reckon you know why its happening ? And yes its a non HID version.

You still have not answered whether the taillights are also turning on with he low beam headlights, unless the parking lights in your term meant taillights. If this is the case then your lights are most likely wired to an ACC circuit. Check whether the headlight switch works. You mentioned that this weird behavior happened recently. it is unlikely but not impossible that your switch become defective. Check the wiring diagram of the switch and you will see that one lead must be an ACC (constant 12 V). Find a combination switch in a nearby junk yard and swap it if you made sure that the switch is defective.

Subin 06-25-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD (Post 327350)
You still have not answered whether the taillights are also turning on with he low beam headlights, unless the parking lights in your term meant taillights. If this is the case then your lights are most likely wired to an ACC circuit. Check whether the headlight switch works. You mentioned that this weird behavior happened recently. it is unlikely but not impossible that your switch become defective. Check the wiring diagram of the switch and you will see that one lead must be an ACC (constant 12 V). Find a combination switch in a nearby junk yard and swap it if you made sure that the switch is defective.

Sorry mate yes both low beam headlight and the taillights remain on. I will try and follow your instructions thank you.

Mitsubishi_Outlander 05-30-2023 06:22 AM

I am facing the same issue. Every few days my headlights and taillights are turning on with the ignition, Once the battery is disconnected, the issue goes away temporarily. What should I do for a permanent fix?

daem0n 05-31-2023 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mitsubishi_Outlander (Post 337355)
I am facing the same issue. Every few days my headlights and taillights are turning on with the ignition, Once the battery is disconnected, the issue goes away temporarily. What should I do for a permanent fix?

The ETACS firmware must be updated or whole unit shall be replaced and reprogrammed. ETACS unit used to fail on these cars.

Mitsubishi_Outlander 05-31-2023 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by daem0n (Post 337361)
The ETACS firmware must be updated or whole unit shall be replaced and reprogrammed. ETACS unit used to fail on these cars.

Thanks for your response. How can I update/reprogram the ETACS firmware? Do i need to go to Mitsubishi dealer?

DibbyDibbyDJ 05-31-2023 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mitsubishi_Outlander (Post 337363)
Thanks for your response. How can I update/reprogram the ETACS firmware? Do i need to go to Mitsubishi dealer?

There is no official update for the firmware on an ETACS.. I have read of people hacking the firmware, but I have never experience it or heard of what it can do.

If there was a Update for it, then Mitsubishi motors would have used it rather than replacing these under warranty when failing.

Actually, have you tried your dealer for a goodwill claim? If you are original owner and if the vehicle has full Dealer service history then you might be lucky. THIS i have heard of on numerous occasions working,, but sadly not recently. Worthy of a try though

daem0n 07-22-2023 02:40 PM

How did it go with your lights? Have you solved the issue?
The mitsu authorized workshop should have ETACS updates. I just updated my old MUT3 software from 2015 to 2021 release and I see that there is an update for my car's ETACS model. Though I will not update because I have no issues so far and do not want to risk with new bugs :-)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/mitsubi...5cf202f6d6.png