Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dealership stole my Alloys!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Default Dealership stole my Alloys!

I am furious!!

I did my complete wash and detailing of my Outlander yesterday. While doing the wheels, I noticed stone chips, lip rash, yellowing and to top it all off, paint touch-ups on all four of the alloys.

My alloys were in almost perfect condition, I only have 20,000km on the vehicle. I hand wash my alloys and also go as far as waxing them.

I was at the dealership to swap my winters for my summers on March 19th. Conceivably, they could have got mixed with another customers alloys, but I doubt that. This would have shown up right away when placing the wheels back on my vehicle as the TPMS would have been deprogrammed and the dealer would have noticed the error immediately. Or perhaps chose to ignore the mistake and simply reprogram the ECU to recognize the change in TPMS.

However, I believe it's more malicious than that. The mechanic who brought me my car out mentions "I have an Outlander just like yours, but I have more than twice the mileage". That would be consistent with alloys that are damaged possibly. Also, an appointment that should have taken 1 hour, took close to 2 hours. Did he swap my alloys for his?

Whatever the reason, they are definitely not my alloys. At this point I will not post the dealer name until I see what happens with them. I don't intend to tarnish their reputation if I get full satisfaction. But I will take this to Mitsubishi Canada, the better business bureau and the press if I have to. I could even sue in small claims court.

Watch out for this behaviour, you never know what can happen!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Please keep us posted on how this turns out. If true, this is unbelievable.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Dekodan sorry to hear that about your wheel's that's unbelievable who could do such thing. I can't believe that someone working at a dealer could even think about doing that to a customer that's really stupid! Keep us posted I want to know then end of this and pm me the dealer name if you don’t mind so I don't get screwed too if I go there!

Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Definitely talk to the service manager and the manager of the dealership. That is just wrong if the service guy swaped the rims. They would be better off firing the guy rather than you tarnishing their reputation.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 PM

Hey Dekodan,

I have a sneaking suspicion that my dealership stole my brand new summer mats when my outtie was in for service 2 months ago. I had them in my trunk (still in the plastic packaging!!!), but cannot find them now that it's time for summer mats.

I mean how does a plastic bag full of mats go missing? They aren't small! I've turned my house inside out looking adn called everyone I know asking to no avail. The only other possibility I can imagine is that they took them out of the trunk while I was in for service...

I'm also concerned since you say Mitsubishi Canada. I'm in Canada too, and wonder if this is the same deaelership.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM

either of you guys in the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Aw just let us know what dealer it is - you're in a forum that's what they are for! They should get a bad blog for having it happen you to begin with - plus I want to avoid these guys like the plague too!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM

its doubtful the dealership stole ur alloys. they really arent worth much. if in fact they arent yours, most likely its just a screw up.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
its doubtful the dealership stole ur alloys. they really arent worth much. if in fact they arent yours, most likely its just a screw up.
FYI when I check last year the price of my XLS 18inch wheel the dealer quote me at 1000$ each here in canada !

Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM

Sorry to hear your situation.
I don't think the technician stole your rims. When technicians have to do a tire change, they pull the car to their hoist/station, takes off the wheels, and brings the wheel to the tire machine, which everyone uses in the shop. Technicians sometimes are just careless or stupid, or even give it to the co-op student to do, and they get mixed up with the other Outlander's rims. Obviously, this technician is not a good one, because a good technician, when they pull a car in, they look at the car itself (is the whole car in good shape, are the rims clean, etc), so when they pull it out, it have to be the same. He didn't notice it was nice/clean rims when he pull it in, therefore, he just pull it back out in bad condition rims.

Do you have the 18'' or the 16''?
You said you were swapping tires. The tires didn't get switched right?

Hope this gets re-solve soon!

PS. Most dealership work in flat-rates pay for the technician. Meaning, if a tire-swap job should take 30 mins, they only get pay 30 mins of job done. If they do the job for 2 hr, they still get pay 30 mins. So you said it took you 2 hours, so is the technician's falut, not the dealership...