Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Hitch-mount bike rack on 07+ Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Default Hitch-mount bike rack on 07+ Outlander

Has anybody put a hitch-mount rack like the Thule T2 or Doubletrack on their Outlander? I'm wondering if there's clearance to lower the tailgate when the rack is on there, and clearance to open the liftgate when bikes are loaded.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Default RE: Hitch-mount bike rack on 07+ Outlander

I got the thule 4 bike rack that folds down. I can open both the hatch and lower tailgate with the bike rack up in place. As long as the rack isnt pushed back, if you have one you will notice it has some play in it and can be pushed back and forth. But i dont use mine for bikes, I got it to put the snowboard attachment on it. With that on there and the boards I can still open the hatch. The model I have has that release that you push and the whole thing folds down. The only downfall is it comes with only a screw well big bolt that holds the bike rack to the hitch. So I drilled the hitch and bike rack so I can put a lock in there too. So I have the bolt and lock becasue with out the bolt it doesnt hold the rack in place and it flops all around with just the lock in there. Ill look for pictures later or take some and post them up soon.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Hitch-mount bike rack on 07+ Outlander

That's really good to know - thanks. There is a newer rack that Thule makes that is similar to the one you have but it doesn't fold down. I'll probably find one in a store and measure it sometime.

If you have any pics of your T2 (T4?) on there that would be great. BTW are you using the factory tow setup or aftermarket?