Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How does your engine sound when idling??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:23 PM
Default How does your engine sound when idling??

Question for all of you...
I heard that it is "normal" for mitsu engine in Lancer and outlander to "tick" when idling.
My 05 LS outlander certainly does that. It's not loud but it's certainly "ticking".
One day, I was stopped at a light and a Lancer ralliart came up beside me. My window was down
and the ticking from the ralliart was quite noisy, i.e. loud.

Dealer is essentially saying that this is typical and would not have any impact on the long term
engine life.

Do any of you have a non-ticking engine? I have my guesses but what is making the sound??
Should there be any concern for engine life?? And finally, is dealer "correct" in saying that ticking will not cause any
premature engine wear??

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 06-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Default RE: How does your engine sound when idling??

If you are talking MIVEC it may be valve noise since they have mechanical lifters. However there were some MIVEC 2.4's with timing belt tensioner problems. Mine had kind of a rolling rattle that was coming from the timing case and Mitsu replaced the belt, the tensioner, the idler pulley and the oil pump. Seems Ok now but still not the quietest engine in the world. I think piston clearance is a little loose on these as well. You notice it especially at cold start.

Old 06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
JMC

That's weird....I never noticed a tick.

Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 PM

mine does it, but i heard that if u run some lucas oil additive it would certainly take it away. and this tick is notorious for eclipses as well. and those cars are still running so that should tell u about the longevity

Old 06-28-2005, 01:40 AM

that ticking sound?? its from the power steering unit / pulley, my outtie and eclipse both makes the "tick" sound. and this one came from mitsu. dealership / mechanic. its normal, nothing to worry about. even my brother's ralliart lance. does the same "tick's". and i, think swapping oil is a good idea for that "ticking" noise,i, tried redline (oil) w/ my eclipse..and for sure that "tick" disappeared.

Old 06-30-2005, 03:12 AM

Well here's my story in a few seconds. I had a similar sound develop in my Outlander about 4 months ago. Over time the sound got worse and worse until it became a full-out "clack" that was loud enough to draw attention. I took it to my family mechanic and at first glance (or first listen) we tought it was a the power steering pump. Upon closer inspection he found it was the idler pulley. The part was under $40 and by replacing just that the car idles nice and quiet now. Its hard to say for sure but I almost think the car sounds even better now than it did new. Well that's my two cents, hope it helps.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:10 PM
JMC

Wow........maybe I just got lucky or I will be hearing this "click" soon. Thanks for all the info!!!

Old 07-02-2005, 02:16 AM

Havoq,

Was the $40 pulley mitsu part or after-market??
My outlander is only 2 months old -runs amazing- but ticking sound is "getting" to me.
Is there a TSB on this??

thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 02:56 PM

wonder if the 2.4 eclipse power pulley will fit the outtie 2.4????[:-]

Old 07-14-2005, 03:25 PM

i heard it will as there is only one 2.4 being produced. so the manufacturer says

Quick Reply: How does your engine sound when idling??