Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to make the lights stop dimming?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Default How to make the lights stop dimming?

Have anyone experienced that when the radiator fans start running again or when you operate some electrical stuffs like the windows, the headlights, other lights like side markers, will be dimmed for a second?

Have anyone tried to fix this problem? Is it the problem of car battery or is it the problem of the relay? Did anyone try to put a capacitor somewhere to solve the problem and where do you put the capacitor?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:25 PM

its not really a problem at all. it hurts nothing. electrical loads vary constantly.

having said that, mitsu has a software update for some 07s that alleviates it. but its not a problem, so dont worry about it.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:51 PM

I'd have to say that with my old vehicle it did that exact same thing. But with the outlander I havent experienced it at all. And I havent heard of anyone else having this with the 2nd gen outlanders. With my old vehicle I thought it possibly was a weak altinator. ???

Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Would it be the problem of the battery? When I turn off the engine the lights will definitely go dimmer. As known, when the engine is running and the radiator fans are not used by shut down the A/C, 14.1V it is. But then it will drop to 12V for a second if extra electricity is drawn.
Manybrews, can an update software really alleviate this? I have no idea how it works.
tdford, I dunno about your outie. Mine is a 07 LS. It has only been used for 1.5 years only by me (I bought it brand-new in 2008). Totally cannot believe some parts are failing within 2 years...
I guess I will try put a big capacitor on the battery and see what's gonna happen.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 PM

you dont have a problem. you have fluctuating voltage and amperage loads. Its NORMAL.

doesnt anyone read posts?

mitsu did some tinkering with the software to boost idle speeds SLIGHTLY which help diminish this, but its NOT a problem... its merely a characteristic.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:48 AM

It is NOT normal, heres another thread https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24384

Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM

it IS normal. whether you like it or not.
on all cars. i dont care who makes it, but at idle the amperage output of pretty much any alternator is MAYBE 50 amps. when you turn on your ac (drawing 15 amps for the cooling fan, 5 for the clutch, 5 for the blower fan) on top of the headlights (3-5 amps each), plus things like heated seats, rear defrost, etc....

you simply overwhelm the alternators output. It is like that on any car. you may not like it, but thats life.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:24 PM

it is normal to state that consumer will dim the light , what it is not normal is to have it in cycles of 30 seconds.

I wrote in the other post that I did some tests at sea level and at high altitude and the system baives totally different.

At high sea level ( 7500 feet ) the system is crap turning on high speed vents in cycles of 30 seconds.

At sea level the system works fine and some times the high speed of the vents turn on for a while like 5 to 10 minutes.

It is related to the presure sensor of the A/C system, changing it for a similar one less sensible or probalby more sensible it will change this funny or anoying dimming because of turning high speeds vents.

Also it is funny that at a hot day when you start the enigne for the first time of the day and righ away turn on the A/C it will start cooling and the vent cycling will not start until the engine is hot.

Another way of improoving the system is a ECU flasing update.

If the light dimming is the problem you can buy HID lights and this will also stop dimming.