Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   How many CDs can be stored on the music server? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/how-many-cds-can-stored-music-server-17118/)

cerberus9 03-08-2007 01:56 AM

How many CDs can be stored on the music server?

Does anyone know (approximately) how many "normal" CDs can be copied to the music server?

Thanks!

biscuit 03-08-2007 03:58 AM

RE: How many CDs can be stored on the music server?

At least 30... so far.

Christian1 03-08-2007 04:08 AM

Let me guess... you never did your math homework while going to school, right? :D hehe Just kidding. Ok, it's a 40GB HD on the nav. I don't have one, but I assume at least 10GB will be used for maps. But to be safe, let's say 20GB is used for maps. That leaves you with 20GB of songs to stuff in there. One regular CD+R can hold 700MB of data. But normally, people use it up to 650 ~ 670MB or so. If 1GB = 1,000MB (roughly) and you have 20GB (20GB * 1,000 = 20,000MB). Now an average MP3 song, with 320kbps (quality) and songs are on average 4min long, each song will take up 10MB. Mind you, these are gooooood quality songs, good music spec. So 20,000MP divided by 10MB = 2,000 songs. Now, to find out how mnay CD+Rs that would take, take 20,000MB divided by 650MB (each CD+R - just an average) = 31 CDs. Now, unless you are a DJ, you will NOT have THAT many songs anyway! ;) Glad you got that little math lesson? :)

JMC 03-08-2007 07:01 AM

Wow....anyway, 30GB HD???

antlip 03-08-2007 09:45 AM

I have 2685 songs on my ipod. That is 11.91 gigs of space including 5 pictures. As far as how many cds can fit that is unanswerable. Every cd has a different amount of songs and is a different length of time. It will all depend on how long every song is. If you ever fill the built in hard drive, buy an ipod or alot of cd holers for your visor.

soundcolor 03-08-2007 09:55 AM

well, at 30 gigs, it sould hold 45 cd's if there 650 megabite disks.
At 700 megabite disks, your lookin at 41.
However if your runnin mp3's then your lookin at 5263 songs (at roughly 5.7 megs a piece)

cerberus9 03-08-2007 10:18 AM

OK, let's do the math then...

The HDD is 30 GB. I've read elsewhere that up to 24 GB is used for the nav system & other things, leaving 6 GB for music.

A very high-quality MP3 (320 kbps vbr, 44 kHz sample rate) comes in at approximately 1.85 MB/min. Assuming that an average CD contains 12 tracks at 4.5 minutes per track, the space requirements for an average CD (assuming that theentertainment system uses an MP3-likecompression algorithm) are 1.85 MB/min * 4.5 min * 12 = 99.9 MB/CD (e.g. 100 MB/CD).

Since6 GB = 6144 MB, the number of CDs that should fit on the drive is:

6144 MB / 100 MB/CD, which equals 61 CDs.

Can anyone confirm this number? (i.e. has anyone been able to put MORE than 60 CDs into the system?)

I suspect that a lower quality compression is used, which should allow for more than 61 CDs (my wild-ass guess is between 100 and 125 CDs).

Thanks!

crusher 03-08-2007 10:51 AM

Mitsubishi claims up to 1,200 songs, likely of approximately 4 minutes or more per song. Based onthe 12 song per CD number, that works out to 100 CDs. And yes, there are 6 GB of space reserved for the music server, so they are using some sort of compression, much less than the speculated 320kbps, just to clarify the numbers floating around out there. Still, I can't hear a difference in quality between the Music Server and the CDs.

Christian, I'm not a DJ, but I have 4,000 songs on my iPod, and I don't even consider myself a musicbuff. :)I'm sure there are lots of people on this board with more. I've sorted them by ranking on iTunes and am slowly but surely moving my favorite 1,000 + songs to the Music Server by burning CDs. It's tedious, but I figure by the end of March I'll have what I want on there. I've got between 400-500 songs on there now.

soundcolor 03-08-2007 10:53 AM

wow, 24 gigs used for navigation? what are they mapping blueprints for the buildings, as well as exact location of blades of grass... There is no way in hell they use that much for gps maps. You number should be more like 6 gigs for nav (though it is most likely closer to 1 gig) and the remaining 24 for storage.

There is no way that it takes 24 gigs to store maps. The most information a dvd can hold is 4 gigs. There isnt a dvd based nav system anywhere in the world that uses a complete dvd for its info, so Figure it like this. 4 gigs for maps and other stuff, 1 gig built in to run the program, and wham your at 5. I highly doubt its that high, but I could be wrong.

crusher 03-08-2007 12:16 PM

I don't think the 24 gigs are just for maps. There's software on there to to control the music server, calendar, bluetooth, trip data, etc. It's pretty full featured, and I guarantee it takes much more than one gig of storage.

And who knows? There may be some extra space on there (not dedicated to music) for future upgrades. the Japanese website shows 3D maps. http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/o...ty/uti_03.html

My numbers are coming directly from Mitsubishi's website, BTW. I can't say whether they're right, wrong, or totally insane, but it's what they say. 6 gigs for music storage, 1200 songs. period.