Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   How much in the tank after the gas light comes on? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/how-much-tank-after-gas-light-comes-19924/)

CanadianOutlander 06-21-2007 06:26 PM

How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

My guess is nine liters.....has anyone put it to the test? How many Km's did you get after the light comes on? I want to know how far to push it?

zontarh 06-21-2007 07:14 PM

RE: How much in the tank after the gas light comes on?

Refuel dude or yourfuel pump will start to pick upthe crap that's at the bottom of your tank and eventually block your fuel filter.

evoracer 06-21-2007 08:56 PM

It should say in the owners manual. I second not making a habit of letting it get that low.

bnilguy 06-21-2007 09:27 PM

probably a couple gallons. I'm not sure if I subscribe into the low tank clogging fuel pumps..the pump is at the bottom and if there's gunk settled, it would pick it up anyways...unless the gunk is lighter than fuel...so I'm not sure

I've also heard that the pumps are in the tanks and the gas helps cool the pump..not sure how it is in the Outie

antlip 06-21-2007 09:54 PM

If the pump is in the tank then it is cooled by the gas in there. I wouldnt let it run too low.

OTO27 06-22-2007 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: antlip

If the pump is in the tank then it is cooled by the gas in there. I wouldnt let it run too low.
And judging from the buzz I hear coming from the tank when the engine is reved up, I'm willing to bet the pump is in it.

To the person that said " you will start to pick up junk that settles in the bottom" dont we have a fuel filter for that?

CanadianOutlander 06-22-2007 09:05 AM

Is changing your fuel filter a hard one for the shop your can you do it in a hour or so at home.....should the tank be at empty before attempting it?

evoracer 06-22-2007 09:13 AM

There is no Serviceable fuel filter on most new cars. It is integral to the fuel pump (which is in-tank). Yes, allowing the tank to run low will encourage the collection of debris from the bottom of the tank. I have seen it many time. But the most impritant reason is the cooling. It is cooled by the fuel around it. Also, even though the tank is internally baffled, if it gets low enough you can slosh the fuel away from the pump, causing it to suck up air and the car will die.

zontarh 06-22-2007 10:48 AM

ORIGINAL: OTO27

To the person that said " you will start to pick up junk that settles in the bottom" dont we have a fuel filter for that?
That's what I said, the fuel filter will get blocked not the pump (blocked filterequals fuel starvation), all I'm saying is the pump will do the sucking.

Toxcel 06-22-2007 02:15 PM

When the second light "Low Fuel' indicator comes on you have about 1-1/2 gallons left = about 25/30 miles to drive before empty.

phaserkb 06-23-2007 07:55 PM

The tank capacity is 60 Liters

coolmael 09-05-2007 05:11 PM

As I travel long distance all the time, I have found out exactly how far I can push the Fuel Light limit!

I get around 600Km to a tank (60L) yet one day in particular I had the light come on after 500Kms, then had to drive 120Km to the next petrol stop. (we have some long lonely roads in Oz)

When I eventually filled up, my 60L tank took 62.34L! Not sure where the extra petrol went, but at least I know now that after the light comes on for the first time, I have about 100Km left, or what I would suppose is 10L.

I run mine to the point where the fuel guage needle looks like it's about to bend all the time, and have never had any issues with the fuel pump getting hot or clogged with debris. How do you get crap into your tank anyway? If the tank was metal, possibly some rust flakes, but that's NOT going to happen with a plastic tank is it?

Sounds a lot like "old wives tales" to me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/567EC66B6EE041A4A88DAA2109713EBD.jpg[/IMG]

BoldlyGoingNowhere 09-05-2007 09:49 PM

It was my experience with cars and motorcycles that if you regularly run all the way down you dont get the build up of crud and yes there is crud and water, mostly water.

How do I know this 140k and 98K cars with same fuel pump regularly running it until the light comes on and even running out once or twice.

How else do I know this... I bought a car from hubbys parents who werefrom the school of always refill at 1/4 tank. Ran the tank down close to E sucked all the crap into the fuel filter and the car wouldnt idle at all. Had to pull the fuel filter and add water remover to the gas and drained the tank into hubbys eyes [:@]It ran fine after that.

On motorcycles you should regularly run into reserve to keep the water and crap to a minimum in case you ever have to use reserve you can without having to clean the carbs afterwords you get stranded because it wont run.

coolmael 09-06-2007 04:02 AM

But our Outties don't have carbies, injectors require de-gumming reasonably regularly anyway, so a decent injector cleaning additive to the petrol every 20 or so fills is good.

By the way, has anyone heard the rumor about if you run you unleaded vehicle dry, so it draws air only as it runs out of petrol - that this air only can destroy the cat converter?

Just curious...

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/44F233AED1EC44B1B0243483FFED2889.jpg[/IMG]

BoldlyGoingNowhere 09-06-2007 08:48 AM

Unless your running old crap gas all the time you dont need to clean the injectors. The fuels come with injector cleaners in them.

The previous 3 vehicles I mentioned earlier all have injectors.
I also have a car thats been sitting in my driveway for 2 years without being run except once a year. No stabil or any additives, jumped the battery Sat and it started right up and runs, 135K fuel injected.
[align=left] [/align]

josh_raben1971 09-06-2007 11:14 AM

This morning I hit the first warning with about 304 miles on the tank. I then drove 8 miles to a gas station and the odometer then stated 312 miles. Looking at the receipt, I put 14.6 gallons into the tank. Simple math states that I was getting 21.4mpg average. I drive a FWD XLS, so the tank capicity is rated at 16.6 gallons. Using this capacity, it would mean that with 2.0 gallons left in the tank that I would get 42.8 additional miles PLUS the 8 miles that I drove since the first warning. Adding the 42.8 miles with the 8 additional miles would yield about 50 miles of driving range at 21.4mpg once the first warning comes on. Since the gas tank is slightly smaller in the 4wd models (15.8gallons) these numbers will be different for those models.

BoldlyGoingNowhere 09-07-2007 08:16 AM

I can officially answer this question with actual facts. :)
As I was pulling into the gas station the low fuel light came on.
I have a 4WD 15.8 gal and put in exactly 13.693 gallons filling until the auto shut off.
That calculated out to 2.11 gallons. So given variances in pump shut offs its probably 2 gals left.

This is the first time Ive been able to answer this question without actually running out of gas first [:'(]
[align=left] [/align]

ESM 09-07-2007 12:25 PM

~2gal on my 07 4wd xls

I'm getting the same numbers as BoldyGoingNowhere. I've had the light come on about six times now. Always more that 2 gals left when I fill it up.

kene4466 01-20-2008 08:45 PM

RE: ~2gal on my 07 4wd xls

Where is the low fuel light anyways, does it come on where it says possible icey roads, low tire pressure etc.

dekodan 01-24-2008 11:40 PM

What I know as facts:

Gas pump = bottom of tank. If there is debris, it's going in regardless

Cool gasoline keeps the pump cool and adds to its longevity

Empty space in tank in cold weather allows water to condense on inner walls of tank. This is not a problem for fuel delivery. It causes corosion in the tank which will reduce longevity of the tank as well as cause oxidized steel particles to fall into the tank and clog the pump.

Bottom line. You're using the fuel sooner or later anyway. Keep your tank topped off when you can. If you're travelling, anticipate stopping for fuel. Why push it ? It's simply illogical.

Range at first warning? In Canada it's a Transport Canada requirementthat there should on average be 50km range. That's a good indicator.

My 2 cents.

Sergy 01-25-2008 05:35 AM

Yesterday I saw first fuel warning 20m before a gas station.
I could fill my Outie'07 with about 48 litres to up.

David_Barrera 03-05-2008 12:45 PM

people here said First & Second Fuel Light

I just fill the car for the first time, I got the refuel light, I think was the first one, dont know wich is the second..

I did notice that when I change de view with the info bottom, it comes out in a orange color a big light of fuel.

I am also interest in to know how much gas still has but reading now I know is around 2 gallons.

macuis 03-05-2008 10:44 PM

When the first refuel light comes on, then you have ~ 10 L left. When the warning comes on a second time, and it won't go away without holding the info button, you have ~ 1-2 L left. At least, that's what I have noticed with my Outlander.

Cuffy 03-07-2008 11:29 AM

Anybody up for a "Seinfeld" test?