Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

I'm a new member... and a new Outlander owner!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Default I'm a new member... and a new Outlander owner!

Hi all! This is my first post.

I was looking into buying a compact SUV or similar vehicle, and a 90,000 mile, 2007 Outlander XLS ended up being my choice. I've been skimming the forums trying to learn about the vehicle, and also checking on anything I may need to repair.

If you guys have any recommended threads I should read through, or ideas to contribute to some things I've already experienced, I'd greatly appreciate anything you can point me toward.

The dome lights over the driver seats can be configured to come on (or not) when opening the doors with a switch. My switch didn't work at first, so I popped the dome lights out and found the little metallic ball that made contact had gotten loose. Popped it back into place, ran a test... and the power is actually arcing across the metallic ball. Like it's making bad contact. And you can hear the lights not fully coming on, hear that they sound like they're flickering. Is this normal, and is how they dim? Has anyone experienced this? It seems a tad bit unsafe.

There are multiple threads on messing with AUX input. I successfully held the CD button on my non-Nav stereo system to get into AUX mode, and hooked into the left and right audio wires. Sounds great. I'm thinking I'll put a USB charging port and a 3.5 mm jack in the armrest, and maybe get a 3.5mm to Bluetooth device so give the car Bluetooth audio (since the Bluetooth phone option doesn't seem to cover that).

The metal cage that holds the spare tire in place is pretty rusted. Any chance of this breaking and flying off? I haven't been able to find a replacement.

The vehicle only came with a single F.A.S.T. key - no proximity remote, no keyless entry. The ignition switch doesn't even have the button-cover on it. Which kind of sucks. I've looked on ebay and everything is pretty expensive, unfortunately. Unless you guys know of a good store to go to. And I think no matter what, I still need to drop $100 for the dealer to program whatever I get.

On the turn signal lever, there's an option for 'lights' that actives the red lighting on the stereo and climate control. This works fine, but the car alerts me like it's a mistake. When I shut the car off, the lights turn off after a few minutes, but if I open the doors before this happens, I receive a high pitched alarm, and a warning on the display. But then the lights shut off fine... I'm confused.

Flappy paddle shifters.... just awesome. Enough said.

I'm considering getting a Curt Hitch to throw under the car and mount a bike rack on, although for now there's more than enough room inside the car to fit one, if not two bikes.

I'm thinking before winter hits... Michelin Defender tires. These Outlanders look like they couldn't care less about the snow, but some traction seems like a good idea.