Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Info on the outlanders 4wd system

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Default Info on the outlanders 4wd system

Can someone please point me towards a detailed overview of the outlanders 4wd system?

Is there a simple lift kit available for it? (spacers)

Old 12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Default RE: Info on the outlanders 4wd system

GENERAL INFORMATION

[hr]

[ul][*]Electronic control AWD has been adopted to ensure the on-road performance, achieve lighter and smaller body, and realize better fuel economy.[*]The electronic control AWD controls the torque of the electronic control coupling located between the propeller shaft and rear differential. This strategy is enabled by varying the torque distribution to the front and rear wheels from the status closer to the front wheel drive to the status closer to the direct coupling AWD and realizes the optimal drive force according to the various driving conditions. [/ul]

[hr]

AIMS OF DEVELOPMENT
Lightweight and simple construction of the electronic control AWD achieves good fuel efficiency and provides enjoyment of selecting the drive mode.

[hr]

FUNCTION

[ul][*]The adoption of the electronic control coupling satisfies both of the tight corner braking phenomenon* and traction performance.

note
*Tight corner braking indicates the following condition. When the AWD vehicle turns sharply on a pavement at low speed (ex. parallel parking), the rotational radius of the front and rear wheels differs, and this difference can no longer be compensated by the tire slippage. At this time, the driver feels as if the brake was applied.[*]The electronic control AWD receives the signals of the throttle position and vehicle speed via CAN* communication protocol, detects the vehicle driving condition and operation of the driver, and distributes the proper torque to the rear wheels.

note
*: For more information about CAN (Controller Area Network), refer to GROUP 54C .[*]Under severe driving condition, the system is protected by minimizing the limitation force of the differential.[*]During high-speed driving, the fuel efficiency is improved by reducing the limitation force of the differential.[*]The following drive modes are available according to the drivers’ preference to provide the enjoyment of selecting functions. [/ul]

Drive mode

Control content

Appeal points

FWD (2WD)

Minimizes the limitation force of the differential.

High fuel efficiency mode which enables smoother turning performance of the FF vehicle

AWD (4WD)

Increases the limitation force of the differential according to the different rotation speed of the front and rear wheels and the throttle position.

Universal mode which automatically distributes the drive force to the rear wheels as necessary

LOCK

Further increases the limitation force of the differential compared to the AWD mode.

Mode which has an excellent driving performance when driving on rough road or in stuck situation and enables the powerful driving

[hr]

[hr]

CONSTRUCTION DIAGRAM

[hr]

System component and function

Parts name

Functional description

Engine ECU

Sends the following signals required by AWD-ECU via CAN communication.

[ul][*]Engine torque signal[*]Throttle position signal[*]Engine speed signal [/ul]

ASC-ECU

Sends the following signals required by AWD-ECU via CAN communication.

[ul][*]ABS sensor signal (wheel speed signal) [4 wheels][*]ABS operation signal[*]AWD limitation torque signal [/ul]

Drive mode selector

Sends the drive mode switch signal [FWD/AWD/LOCK] to AWD-ECU.

ETACS-ECU

[ul][*]Receives the drive mode switch signal [FWD/AWD/LOCK] from AWD-ECU and flashes the indicators (AWD operation indicator and LOCK indicator) in the combination meter.[*]Flashes the indicators (AWD operation indicator and LOCK indicator) in the combination meter in case of failure. [/ul]

Controls diagnostic function (Compatible with scan tool).

AWD-ECU

Calculates the optimum differential limitation force judging from the vehicle condition and present drive mode based on the signals from each ECU and switch, and controls the current value flown to the electronic control coupling.

Controls the indicators (AWD operation indicator and LOCK indicator) in the combination meter.

Controls the self-diagnostic function and fail-safe function.

Controls diagnostic function (Compatible with scan tool).

Electronic control coupling

Transmits the torque corresponding to the current value controlled by AWD-ECU to the rear wheels.

Drive mode indicator

[ul][*]AWD operation indicator[*]LOCK indicator [/ul]
Integrated in the combination meter, and indicates the selected drive mode (Not displayed in FWD mode).

[ul][*]When the AWD operation indicator and LOCK indicator flash alternately, the system automatically enters the front wheel drive mode to protect the drive system components, and the drive mode changeover with the drive mode selector becomes unavailable.[*]When the drive system generates heat, the AWD operation indicator flashes.[*]The indicator light operation signal from AWD-ECU is sent to the combination meter via ETACS-ECU using CAN communication. [/ul]

Data link connector

Outputs the diagnostic trouble code and establishes the communication with scan tool.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM

that info dosen't answer your question does it?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

Nice mitsupartsman. You can also look here: http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...0&mime=ASC

It talks about the 4wd system as well.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: boon4376
...is there a simple lift kit available for it? (spacers)
mitsupartsman, in my Out it is the prewiring ready for the drive mode selector and AWD-ECU, so the question is, do you think that it is possible "upscale" to 4WD from 2WD system? It would be an interesting project. . .

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Wow, that would probably cost like 1/4 of your car if done aftermarket. I think it's possible IMO, but at what cost?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Hi, Thanks for the info. I was just kinda worried that it was an "on road" AWD system, like hondas realtime... which can only effectively send ~30% of torque to the rear wheels... I was hoping this could lock in at 50% and wanted to make sure.

I'm comparing this against a Grand Vitara and the Patriot, I like the outlander because it gets much better fuel economy and has a real transmission (V6 model) (compared to the patriots stupid CVT), but i dont know if that is at the expense of an effective off road capable AWD system?

Is the outlander more of a mini-van alternative? Or can it truely contend offroad? Im aware it doesnt have low range gearing.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 PM

It's depends on how much off-roading you want to go. If you mean "no path", "in the jungle" or "rocks and boulders" type of off-roading then I think you're better off with a Montero with such specialized 4WD system. For the occasional gravel roads with minimal mud and shallow streams, small logs, and moderate ruts, then the Outlander is capable of doing that. What will limit you though is your tires, especially if you have the OEMs. If you plan some off-roading, you're probably better off with the 16" rims and then fit some nice off-road tires in them.

Here's the "Outlander Dakar" that will serve as Service Vehicle for the Mitsubishi Repsol Ralliart Team in South America Dakar in January next year:

Name:  dakar08_sd4th.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  19.2 KB

It's actually a pretty capable machine with a capable 4WD system:

Name:  Outlander_Di_01sm.jpg
Views: 3050
Size:  27.2 KB

See more info here: http://paxtech.blogspot.com/search/label/Dakar
Or visit http://outlander.freeforums.org

Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpax
Wow, that would probably cost like 1/4 of your car if done aftermarket. I think it's possible IMO, but at what cost?
You are right rcpax, the cost would be a factor to consider … perhaps, is better to wait to have the version 4WD in Mexico. . .

Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Well as you can read in the link I posted earlier, the 4wd system in the 2nd gen Outlander is actually different from most out there. It is pretty much mainly electronic. Which takes the "rugged" out of it, but puts the "smart" into it. Good or bad is up to you. The system in LOCK mode is not a locking differential, but does offer up to 60% of torque to be sent to the rear wheels. For havingthe outtiefor over a year and a half and using through some bad snow conditions, and light mud conditions I can say that the 4wd system is pretty nice.

As for using it morefor a recreational vehicle I would have to agree that the Outlander is more mannered for staying on the road than anything else. And when I say that I mean, the system helps by giving you more control to help you stay on the road rather than going in the ditch. But when needed it performs greatly off the road as well. I like to have some fun like many others, and this thing hates to get sideways... It actually tries to straighten itself back up. Though by turning the ASC (stability control) off you can do about what ever you want.

Quick Reply: Info on the outlanders 4wd system