Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

irregular front brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 01:26 AM
Default RE: irregular front brake wear

did them the old fashion way.

an afternoon and a few beers!

LOL

well no beers, but the rotors were still nice, no grooves. so swapped out the pads (and there was significant amount more wear on the passenger section).

outtie drives smooth so far. I did hear of some NZ/aussi outties experiencing this problem as well... maybe has to do with the ABS?

anyway, should anything occur within the next few weeks I'll do another update.

so future adivce: bleed the breaks.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: dirtwagon

what about resurfacing rotors. I was always told not to resurface them if there weren't any grooves in them. This was back on my 79 camaro. I recently read in a newer non mitsu manual to lightly sand the rotors to remove any glazing, etc that may have occured. I have always done my own brakes and never had a problem. I did my wifes brakes on her 04 buick, didn't turn the rotors and her brakes were acting up a month later. took it to the shop and they said to always turn them. Her rotors were REALLY grooved, but weren't when I installed and I kept them free of debris. Did you guys turn, or just replace the pads?
you dont have to re-surface, unless your rotors that bad.( warps') i, basically replace the pads, then clean / check rotors for debris. i, use alcohol to clean the surface. if, theres noticeble un even rotor surface, then its time to re-surface it. if it is good to go, dont mess with it.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:28 PM

Good, I hate taking my car to the shop and "donating" money. Good point, maybe it is the ABS systems that cause the uneven wear and grooving in the rotors. Anyone able to confirm?

Old 01-28-2006, 01:35 PM

it is the ABS system, i own a 03' outtie...since then, i replaced the pads 3 times. no doubt about it, somethings wrong w/ the ABS. and am' getting tired of it.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:18 PM

ORIGINAL: wicked_outlander

it is the ABS system, i own a 03' outtie...since then, i replaced the pads 3 times. no doubt about it, somethings wrong w/ the ABS. and am' getting tired of it.
yes I just had a 'neighbor' (6 blocks down) come and ask me about this. I guess he figured I knew what was going on when I changed my brakes and threw the worn pad and curse at the caliper LOL

Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 PM

just came back from the neighbor's. I found this to be very weird. not only did he have alot of meat on the pads, but his rotors were the source of the noise.

I took a look at mine again, and it does seem like it could use some resurafcing, but at $25 to turn it, i might as well spend a little to get a new set.

damn you car, stop eating my money on stupid problems [:'(]

Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 AM

starting to be glad I don't have ABS....until I slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that is

Old 02-05-2006, 04:06 PM

I just did my brakes(front)- actually had to take it in to have them done due to the lack of time during my work and temporary class schedule right now. I have been checking my brakes monthly because I knew they would need to be done relatively soon. Last month it looked like three more months easily. However, the passenger side caliper is not working properly, it's not fully releasing says the shop and evidenced by the pads. One pad was worn down to the backing plate on only half of the pad, it was really strange. I'll be off to the dealer to see why the brakes are pieces of shi$ on these cars. I was told the caliper will need to be replaced at the latest by the next brake job, sooner is better though. I'm hoping Mitsu will eat the cost due to defective product.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 PM
JMC

I went to meineke the last time...and I've had much better luck!!!

Old 02-06-2006, 06:30 PM

pads wearing evenly on both sides still?

Quick Reply: irregular front brake wear