Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Just got an awd 03

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Default Just got an awd 03

For a bargain of a price, I got an 03 off my friend that only needs a little work. I hope atleast. The engine died on him, and there's a couple spots that need body work. The good thing about the body work is that it's simple, just some heat and moving it back into place and its fine. The only costmight be some touch up paint, maybe a few ounces at best.
There's two things interior wise wrong,the handle to move the rear seats (the double seat) is broken, and the door stop for the drivers door is broken. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get these for the best price, aside from a dealer, or had a good way to fix either.
I havent checked the engine yet, or done any work on it. I dont have the title yet, and until thats in hand Im waiting to look at the engine. For the time being, if someone can tell me if there's a low oil sensor and relay for it, I can probably guess whats wrong, considering the car barely had any in it when it died on my friend.
Hopefully someone can also tell me if the engines zero tolerance, I really hope it isnt but if I need a new engine it's no big.

Thanks for any help in advance

Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Default RE: Just got an awd 03

Welcome man i have a 06.
If it needs a engine drop in a turbo 4g63, make it work somehow :-)

Hope it is a easy fix though!

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM

there is no low oil sensor. Sounds like someone just neglected the car and ran it without maintaining the proper level until it died.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 AM

Ok so I got the title and got the engine apart. A piston rod snapped, and did some nice scraping on the crankshaft and messed up the piston. The bearings were also scrap. I guess that the rods going are a common thing on the 4g64's.
So now, rather than replacing things, the casing could be off and the engine could be a bit of a lemon so I think it's a really good idea to get a new one. IF, and thats a big IF I have the extra money, would a 4g69 fit and would all I need to replace be the ecu?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:46 PM

rods going on 4g64's? those engines are as solid as 4g63's, as long as they're taken care of. i might sound like a broken record, (my age showing again) but i have a '93 expo awd with the 4g64 with around 256,000 miles on it, no tear down needed yet as it's not burning oil....most any engine taken care of by regular oil changes, and i used engine flush as well, should last well into the 150,000 mile range these days. your engine was definitely abused, and was obviously running on spit.....
you know, those tuners in chicago, their name escapes me at the moment, who suped up the outlander with the evo driveline and suspension, used a 4g64 block with a 4g63 DOHC head....so beef up the bottom end you have, and 'just' (how easy some words come) slap on the hot head....and let us know what's happening!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:55 PM

Mikeeee, have you had your KIX today... LOL,
congrats on the new purchase, welcome to the club!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 PM

expositor, the engine was maintained until my friends mom gave him the car, and had went through two rods by that time. And if you notice certain trends like the number of the rods on ebay that are reconditioned or newyou can assume... lots of people dont care for the caror some problems which can cause them to break, every manufactuer has some lemons here and there. And it's not that I haven't already thought of turbo'ing it, I just want to get it moving first So does anyone have a clue on wether or not the 69 would fit, and only require a new ecu? Or were there other changes that would make it not worth while dropping one in?

Old 04-06-2007, 04:14 PM

mikeeee, for an engine to go 'through' rods these days, they're more often than not abused. what was the factory guarantee then, 50,000 miles? how many miles on yours? you said two rods went; the same one after a 'repair,' or a second one? i don't check e-bay, but you'll find anything there, so how is that clearly indicative of the 4g64 being a 'bad' engine? some have said the 4g63 isn't good either, so what can one make of that? i think most of us here would say that two rods gone means either a gross mfg's fault, which in all likelyhood would make itself known before the 50,000-mile guarantee expires, or abusive driving and /or lack of maintainance. if you're sure it was maintained, see what mitsu can do if the engine 'went' before 50,000 miles; you'll never know unless you inquire.

anyway, do you mean the 4g69, which is just the 4g64 block with the new mivec head, or the 4g63? i'm not sure, but i believe the mounts for these engines are close enough to be able to get a 4g63 into an outlander with minimal tweaking. let us know how it goes, and again, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 PM

The cars a little more than double the guarantee, lots of high way miles. I didn't say the 4g64's were bad, just that it seems people can go through rods and it could be a weak point in the design of the engine for the kids trying to run too much pressure into it unmodified. The engine was a bit of a lemon and eventually ran down, not that it matters now.

If the 69's are just a new head then that's not happening, because of cost and my determination to keep this low budget. The only difference between the 64 and 69 are a few digits so I'd stick to the 64.

As far as the 63's go, I hear to stear clear of the 7 bolts if possible because they had some issues (crankwalk mostly). If I can find a decent 6 bolt, turbo possibly, aside from tapping the knock sensor and modding the mounts, would there be anything else that would need to be changed?

Old 04-09-2007, 09:53 PM

other than exhaust, i believe transaxle housings and mounts very close, if not interchangeable. again, much good luck to you!

Quick Reply: Just got an awd 03