Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Default K&N air filter

Has anyone installed a K&N air filter on a 2005 XLS, if so what are the advantages if any?
Also what is the correct procedure for replacing an air filter?

Brian

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Default RE: K&N air filter

K+N's, or any oiled air filter, are a double edged sword. They allow more air into the engine, but also filter alot less effectively than conventional elements. If you over oil them, they WILL ruin the MAF sensor. If you under oil them they do nothing. Since the 1st generation Outies use the same air filter as the Evo, I reccomend either THIS filter or THIS one. They filter alot better, and don't require oiling. They are, however, not reusable like the K+N, but can be washed every so often. And if you stay on top of it and don't let the dirt build up, they can be kept very clean. I ran the HKS on on my Evo for two years with the same filter, just kept it clean.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 PM

I've never experienced any noticeable benefits with a drop-in on my last 3 vehicles...Power or fuel economy. The risks with poorer filtration and potential electronics problem just isn't worth it.

If you figure that the air filter allows enough air for an Evo, it should alow more than enough air for the Outlander

Old 05-27-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks for your advice.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Funny, it sounds like you are actually ignoring my advice, but to each his own.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Banned

I agree with the points your raised and they are well known. However, i dont think thats reason enough not to buy a K&N filter. Not sure i agree about the less filtration efficiency. If you can find a tech write up by a company stating that, i would love to see it.

You wont feel any gains from a filter on ANY car. If anyone tells you different they are BS-ing.

Yes, if you do totally saturate the filter in oil it will ruin the MAF. But that is your fault, not the filters.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:03 PM

No I agree it is the users fault. To allow more flow there has to be a sacrifice in filtration. You cannot have both. However, perhaps I was a bit harsh in saying alot less effective filtration. Effectively the "Holes" in the filtration material have to be larger to allow more air to flow through. The filter really does nothing in an oiled element. The oil does nearly all the filtration. I also don't agree that a filter element adds no gains. I have seenthem on a dyno. It may not be raw HP or torque numbers, but maybe a HP or two (which could be accounted to anything, temperature etc.), but you do see slightly faster engine response. And these companies claim fuel economy increase also, which makes sense (if the engine breathes easier it works less hard). Either way, if you can clean a $40 dollar filter rather then replace a $30 filter, it pays for itself that way.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

Im glad we are in agreement.

Yeah you will see one or 2 numbers on the dyno... i have seen that too. But you wont actually feel it.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 PM

You won't feel the couple of HP, but on my Evo the engine response was noticable over the factory element. Also you could really hear the BOV, and that has to be worth something

Old 05-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

Well i have heard exactly that before.

You should stick around

Quick Reply: K&N air filter