Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tranny flush pricing = WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Default Tranny flush pricing = WTF

Just a hypothetical question:

I need a tranny fluid change on my Outlander. Just checking out my options (stealership vs doing it myself).

Pricing out fluids as well as checking out the quoted rate at the Stealership, I am a bit confused.

Fluid costs $33.07 per liter (quart). I would need 8 liters (quarts) to completely change my fluid. That equals $256.56 (prior to taxes and enviro levies.

For the Stealership to do the service is $154.95 (prior to taxes and levies).

Can somebody explain how they can perform the service for $100 cheaper than the cost of the fluid alone? I'm confused.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:04 PM

My thoughts:

When they buy fluid it comes in a 50 gal container. It is much cheaper because the oil's lack of packaging, reuse of the barrel and such. For what you pay for those 2 gal (8 quarts), they get 50 gal.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Double checked with the dealer. Evidently the price for the service reflects drain and fill. I'm a bit surprised they aren't pushing the full flush. If drain and fill is all they were going to do, then that brings down the DIY price. Still only $30 cheaper than the stealership. I wish I had more options. This has got to be the most frustrating thing about owning a Mitsubishi. I can't find anybody who is willing/able to do more than an oil change on it and aftermarket parts and fluids are virtually non-existent. I love my Mitsubishi (it's the best vehicle I've owned), but having zero service options outside of the dealership is making me crazy.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:11 PM

I've been happy with Amsoil ATF in my 2011 Oulander, it's cheaper and works at least as well as Diaqueen, at least for non-cvt. There's a sticky on how to do a flush.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Default How many miles

Originally Posted by Michael King
Just a hypothetical question:

I need a tranny fluid change on my Outlander. Just checking out my options (stealership vs doing it myself).

Pricing out fluids as well as checking out the quoted rate at the Stealership, I am a bit confused.

Fluid costs $33.07 per liter (quart). I would need 8 liters (quarts) to completely change my fluid. That equals $256.56 (prior to taxes and enviro levies.

For the Stealership to do the service is $154.95 (prior to taxes and levies).

Can somebody explain how they can perform the service for $100 cheaper than the cost of the fluid alone? I'm confused.
How many miles does your Outlander have?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
How many miles does your Outlander have?
Approx 110000kms (works out to a bit more than 68000 miles).

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by kev994
I've been happy with Amsoil ATF in my 2011 Oulander, it's cheaper and works at least as well as Diaqueen, at least for non-cvt. There's a sticky on how to do a flush.
How long have you been using it for? I'd be interested to know how many people are using aftermarket fluid without issue? I'd be more interested to know how many people legitimately destroyed their tranny using an allegedly compatible ATF.

Last edited by Michael King; 08-10-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:52 AM

I've been using it for a year, put about 30,000 kms on it with no issues, I generally drive like an old man though. Amsoil guarantees it won't affect your warranty if they spec if for your car, you just need to get a bottle of the fluid that the dealership drains if you have issues.

Last edited by kev994; 08-11-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:27 AM

Well, I've been in contact with a local Amsoil rep. The signature series stuff is available for $66 per gallon. Based on what I've found I think 2 gallons should be enough. I'm going to do the work myself using the disconnected cooler line method. Not a fan of the dealing with the dealerships. My blood pressure goes up just talking to them on the phone.

Last edited by Michael King; 08-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 AM

my 2 cents. if you are buying aftermarket for 66/gal...getting 2...you are getting awfully close to OEM fluid price. I was tempted to go aftermarket on my last change, but decided to go OEM as I've got 203k miles (changing every 45k miles)...why tempt fate. I think I normally buy 9 qts at 11/qt. This is the only OEM fluid I put in mine.

Quick Reply: Tranny flush pricing = WTF