Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mitsubishi Dealer Servicing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Dealer Servicing Problems

OK it took me all day but I found out how this system works. It wasn't very clear in the service manual.

The advisor you were dealing with had experience with another carline like Lexus. He just needs to do his homework. Speak to the service
manager about your concerns, your bad experience reflects on him.

[hr]

When the tire pressure becomes under the specified value, the TPMS function warns the driver of that state by illuminating the TPMS warning light.

[hr]

OPERATION

[ul]The signals from the TPMS receiver are received by the KOS-ECU.

KOS-ECU processes input signals from each TPMS transmitter as well as vehicle speed signals from the ABS-ECU or ASC-ECU. The WCM also receives the atmospheric pressure signal from the ECM. When the road tire pressure is low, it sends a warning signal causing the TPMS warning light to be illuminated. When the TPMS has problems, it sends a warning signal causing the TPMS warning light to be flashed*.

note
*: Change to continuous illumination after flashing for about 1 minute.

For 3 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position, KOS-ECU illuminates the TPMS warning light to check any breaks in the TPMS warning light circuit.

By connecting the scan tool to the data link connector, data stored in KOS-ECU (data of tire pressure and TPMS transmitter ID, the alarm status and warning history, etc.) can be displayed and TPMS transmitter ID can be registered.
[/ul]

note
If the TPMS transmitter is replaced, register the ID codes of all the TPMS transmitters again using the M.U.T.-III.

[hr]

TPMS WARNING LIGHT

The TPMS warning light on the combination meter illuminates or flashes* to alert the driver by request from KOS-ECU. When the tire pressure warning or the fault warning is activated, a warning symbol and a message are displayed on the multi information display.

WARNING DISPLAY PATTERN OF TPMS WARNING LIGHT AND MULTI INFORMATION DISPLAY

Circumstance

Warning light

Multi information display

For 3 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position (warning light circuit self-check)

Illuminates

No indication

TPMS problems

Flashes*

Symbol and "SERVICE REQUIRED" is displayed

Low tire pressure

Illuminates

Symbol and "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" is displayed

TIRE PRESSURE THRESHOLD VALUES

Item

Tire pressure kPa (psi)

Standard pressure at cold (reference)

220 (32)

Alarm ON pressure

174 (25) or less

Alarm OFF pressure

190 (28) or more

[hr]

TPMS TRANSMITTER (TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR)

The TPMS transmitter combines the valve and tire pressure sensor in a single unit. The TPMS transmitters are mounted inside the tires. The TPMS transmitter measures tire pressure directly with its tire pressure sensor and sends radio frequency signals to KOS-ECU. The TPMS transmitter includes acceleration sensor that senses tire rotation. The KOS-ECU turns the warning light ON/OFF according to the signal from the acceleration sensor that tells whether the vehicle is running or stopped.

note
Use only genuine wheels. The use of non-genuine wheels may cause the improper installation of the TPMS transmitters, possibly resulting in air leakage and damage to the TPMS transmitter.

[hr]

TIRE PRESSURE SAMPLING TIMING

Vehicle status

Sampling timing

At vehicle moving

once every 5 seconds

At vehicle stationary

once every 1 minutes

note
Vehicle moving = vehicle speed: approximately 25 km/h (15 mph) or more

[hr]

DATA TRANSMISSION TIMING

Vehicle status

Transmission timing

At vehicle moving

once every 1 minute*

At vehicle stationary

once every 13 hours
If a sampled pressure varies by ±10 kPa (1.5psi) from the last transmitted pressure value, an additional transmission will occur.

note
*: Once every 15 seconds for first 30 transmission after vehicle starts moving.
fixed...

Old 10-29-2008, 05:16 AM
Default Servicing Problems

Going down to Florida I had to take the car in for a checkup at the dealer near Fort Lauderdale. The entire thing was covered by 2 of the warranties offered to me at the time of purchase. However, since I was from out of "town", they wanted to charge me the labor hours (according to them 6 hours at $90+). I replied that everything was covered by 2 warranties on the car and that I should pay nothing. The service guy argued with me and I asked for the manager and asked them to give me a phone and I would call the warranty central and ask them about his dealership's "ideology" of the warranty.

They denied a phone so I grabbed my cell phone, they stopped me and said that I was right, everything should have been covered by the warranty and that the technician had missunderstood the fine print... (really?)

Now, somehow the labor hours were down to 3 and not 6 (do you smell someting funny here?) The warranty says that if I am away from home and further than 160km and the repair is longer than 3 hours, I get a rental car for free. So I asked for a car... Again they wanted to charge me and the whole process started again... I got my free rental car (maybe that's why they lowered the labor hours, because they knew they had to give me a car...)

Anyway, before leaving the dealership with the rental the guy at the service desk argued that I should put the car under a full checkup not covered by the warranty and rotate my wheels, change the filters and maybe add some oil (again, do you smell something funny here? they were recommending stuff without even looking at the car). I had to tell them that the car was 100% fine, all I wanted was what was covered by the warranty and if they touched any other part of the car they would have to talk to my lawyer.

An hour and a half later I received a call telling me everything was done. I asked what the heck happened to the 3 to 6 hours and they said they did not know what I was talking about. (sure, sure...)

I got to the dealership and the manager & technician were reportedly "missing or had gone somewhere" even though their cars were still parked outside...(mmm... really?) The service desk guy and secretary who were present before, said they just worked there and they "didn't know" what I was talking about... (wow, brain freeze and instant amnesia...)

I have never gone back to that dealership....

Old 10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Default RE: Servicing Problems

What kind of work did you need done for 6 hours labor? Sounds like the warranty would not pay for the complete repair
and the advisor didn't want to argue with them again over the rental so he cut his time to compensate.

btw tinypics rocks! thanks for the tip.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Default RE: Mitsubishi Dealer Servicing Problems

I purchased the Outie this year, I think around May from Costa Mesa Mitsubishi. I havent touched or changed anything whatsoever on the car apart from filling it with gas andadjusting the tyres with air every few days.

Basically I havent tampered with anything other than drive it approx 2 miles per day. I only decided to get it serviced as the Periodic Maintenance light came on. With regards to the TPMS, there's also something odd about that too, since I took the car back from its service the TPMS warning comes on every day or 2, then mysteriously goes off for a day or 2, then comes back on after a couple of days.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mitsupartsman.com

What kind of work did you need done for 6 hours labor? Sounds like the warranty would not pay for the complete repair
and the advisor didn't want to argue with them again over the rental so he cut his time to compensate.

btw tinypics rocks! thanks for the tip.
BTW, I am talking about my old car...

The engine light had been coming on and off all the way from NC to FL, so the check was covered under the 5 year warranty.

Well, according to my local dealership they still can't understand why the Fort Lauderdale guys wanted to charge 6 hours for something that should have taken 1 or 2 hours at my local dealership (hence why the guys at FL called me after 1.5 hours). I had consulted with the guys at my local dealership first before going to the FL dealership, I was told everything would be covered. So, it is not that the FL guys were trying to be nice by chopping the work hours from 6 to 1.5 . They were trying to over charge the "tourist"... I lived in FL long enough to know when the technician or salesman is BSing his/her way around.

even after returning home the lights kept coming on and off, so the FL guys did not fix s**t , my local dealership had to fix it and they did it free of charge...

Every time I am in FL I have to be very careful what services I go for and where...
My dad bought a top of the line Pentax SLR from japan and we decided to go down to a shop in FL that dealt Pentax parts. The salesman took the camera behind the employee curtains for like 5 minutes and came back telling us that the CCD had 1 teaspoon of sand in it and it needed major repairs... this was not the reason why we took the camera in for... This was a brand new camera. we have never been to the beach with it let alone we never took the lens apart from the body... it took us 3 hours to find out what had happened inside the store and the employee was fired on the spot. Apparently some stores / companies pay their employees to create a demand for a service or promotion no matter the cost... (such as messing around with someones brand new camera)

Also a friend of the family bought a new $900 Sony cell phone, he checked it out of the box and decided to take it, then the salesman took the box with him for a while and when my friend got home he opened the box and found a used phone inside the box. He went back to the store only to find out that the salesman "no longer worked" there and the store would not honor the fact that someone had switch his new phone with the old one.

So anyway, going back to the car story, it doesn't surprise me what kind of BS some businesses feed the client just to make a quick dollar...

& about TinyPic, You are welcome

Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Hi:

I would like to share my experience with Bill Jacobs Mitsubishi in Joliet Illinois. I got my appointment for a 30,000 mile service and during the phone conversation I had in setting the appointment I mentioned that my ATF needs to be flushed and replaced as well as the cabin air filter along with a change oil and coolant flush.

I was asked to bring the car at 08:30 am and got a call from the service advisor that they cannot do the ATF because they found out they do not have the ATF. The service advisor explained it to me in a manner that would seem to be that I should be happy that I will be billed only $281 instead of $495if the ATF if it was flushed.

Is this a fair price? Likewise, I have checked the cabin air filter and found it was not replaced at all.

It amazes me that Mitsubishi allows this kind of service from their dealers. Is there a method of reporting this back to Mitsubishi North America?

Thanks

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Sure there is, call 1-888-MITSU2009 and follow the prompts. Or sometimes, MMNA will call you and ask you about your experience, because I think their computer system reports all service done to MMNA HQ. So you get a chance to rate your service experience.

Or write to:
Mitsubishi Motors North America Inc.
PO Box 6014
Cypress, CA 90630

The letter is the better option though it's a little hassle. I think they (MMNA) are oblige, or at least will try to send you a reply in writing. All my letter complaints to MMNA got a reply in the mail. At least they get to keep a paper trail of all the bad dealerships.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM

My dealer quoted me $170 for a ATF, and to do it every 30k miles.

My girlfriends Ford dealer quoted her $160 for a ATF but then told her that her car (Ford Fusion)didnt need it till 100k miles. ??? Said it has a two filter system and uses some high performance tranny fluid. I went in to talk to the service manager and he said he checked with Ford and it was right. The Ford Fusion has a 6-speed auto as well... I still think he is wrong, I will probably call Ford directly.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM

the J2 ATF which is the fluid used in a non CVT outlander retails at $10.95 qt and to flush a transmission correctly you will need at least 10 quarts. so $170.00 for an ATF flush is a fair price. Why they didn't get the fluid from a neighboringdealer to satisfy a customer is bad service. maybe you should call the service manager and explain your concerns. at least give him a chance to correct the issues before JD powers calls you and he receives a bad survey because he was unaware of what happened in his dept that day.

a good service manager will correct his workers mistakes for we all make them.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 PM

So far I love the Dealership I went to for the 2000km recommended oil change. They also did not complain that I bought my on oil. The parts prices are extreme compared to what you get on the internet. On the oil it was 3 times as much as I got it and they would have put some Shell oil in it which is not very good...
So why I loved it?
They also let me go into the workshop and have a look the whole time... It was interesting...at the 1yr maintenance I will also watch them... so there are no mistakes... The repair guy even let me fiddle with the error code reader... luckily after the 2000km there were no errors at all...