Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Name that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Default Name that noise?

So I have an 07 Outlander ls, my question is that I have noticed that it makes a noise sometimes when just starting off after first putting it in gear, it is a soft thunk noise that really sounds like the noise a car makes when the doors autolock when you reach like 5 miles per hour, but its not the doors as the doors do not autolock. The sound seems like it comes from under the car where your feet go and I think I can feel it through the floor like in the gas pedal.
Anyone else experience this, or know what it is? It doesn't really concern me too much, but I am curious to what it is...

Old 07-08-2012, 11:39 PM

sounds like a bad bushing

Old 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
So I have an 07 Outlander ls, my question is that I have noticed that it makes a noise sometimes when just starting off after first putting it in gear, it is a soft thunk noise that really sounds like the noise a car makes when the doors autolock when you reach like 5 miles per hour, but its not the doors as the doors do not autolock. The sound seems like it comes from under the car where your feet go and I think I can feel it through the floor like in the gas pedal.
Anyone else experience this, or know what it is? It doesn't really concern me too much, but I am curious to what it is...

If it is what I think it is, it should be happening everytime. It is the ABS system self-testing....It sounds like a gentle thunk (almost tinny).

Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Its the ABS self testing. Happens a few seconds after shifting into gear after you have started. To check: start engine and put it in drive, after you hear it put it back in park. Then put it back in drive and you shouldnt hear it again. If you do then it may be something else. The ABS only tests once after you start it.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Default Another Question

Originally Posted by tdford
Its the ABS self testing. Happens a few seconds after shifting into gear after you have started. To check: start engine and put it in drive, after you hear it put it back in park. Then put it back in drive and you shouldnt hear it again. If you do then it may be something else. The ABS only tests once after you start it.
Ok thanks guys, I will give it a listen, but it sounds like that is probably what it is. I only notice it after first starting the car and driving off, and it definitely isn't a bushing. Good to know it's nothing to worry about.

How about a follow up question:
sometimes (usually the first time in the morning backing out of the driveway) when I put it into reverse and start backing up I get some squeal noise that sounds to be coming from the rear brakes, what I think is the parking brake drum, even though I never use the parking brake. It usually stops after 5 or 10 feet of backing up, and is quiet.
Anybody else experience this?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM

It's called light rust on the disk from humidity in the air.

You will get it also after washing the car.

Every car I owned did this......and I am over 60

Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Broncoman75
Probably ABS doing a self-check.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 PM

There is alot of things going on the later outlanders
with idle neutral logic, hill start assist, A/C compressor on/off, and the infamous ABS check.
I think the idle neutral logic also make a little noise sometimes

Old 07-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
It's called light rust on the disk from humidity in the air.

You will get it also after washing the car.

Every car I owned did this......and I am over 60
Agree.

just washed the car yesterday and 30 min later when backing out of a store I heard a squeal coming from the rear wheel.