Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Is nav unit double-din sized? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/nav-unit-double-din-sized-20363/)

chili_g 07-10-2007 08:04 PM

Is nav unit double-din sized?

Still brainstorming for a clean install of an aftermarket head unit. I have the base XLS 6-disc changer which I plan to remove. I tried the JL cleansweep, but the stock unit (and the cleansweep) are too noisy for my tastes. It's about 10x the noise of a plain jane NakCD400 I hooked up exactly the same.

My latest thought.... is the OEM nav unit a true double-din size? If so, it would seem easy to just buy the mitsu face plate that goes around the nav unit - then just buy an aftermarket double-din unit.

Dusty Eclipse 07-10-2007 10:43 PM

RE: Is nav unit double-din sized?

Excellent choice in equpiment...
It should be true doubledin, but dont expect anything out there to perform as well as Nakamichi, thats a high end brand. I used to have a CD-700 in my Subaru.
JLs nice, but its still apples and oranges.

chili_g 07-11-2007 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

Excellent choice in equpiment...
It should be true doubledin, but dont expect anything out there to perform as well as Nakamichi, thats a high end brand. I used to have a CD-700 in my Subaru.
JLs nice, but its still apples and oranges.
Thanks, but unfortunately the nak CD player doesn't work. It works as a nice clean preamp w/FM with 3 sets of 4v outs and one RCA in. I have a 60gig iRiver MP3 player with optical outs and FLAC support - so I may get a decent 12v DAC and feed it with that. It would be very clean sound. DACs are much $$$ though :( And of course I still can't find a good dash adapter for the Outie. For now, it sounds great just laying on the floor with wires hanging out of it :D

The cleansweep was noisy even with no inputs. Once I added the speaker feeds from the stock HU, it was horrible. I thought the system sounded OK at the stock 15wRMS per speaker, but @ 150wRMS each, you REALLY hear the crap. My plain analog mp3 player plugged to the aux inputs on the nak was quieter than the cleansweep with no inputs. Blech!

Hey, nice car btw... I used to have a mid 12 second 92' Talon TSIAWD.

BoldlyGoingNowhere 07-11-2007 06:11 PM

Ive been trying to price out the face plate for the nav unit, my buddy at the body shop is unsure of the part # but thinks it may be $400+ for a peice of plastic???

So if anyone has the pn handy let me know.

chili_g 07-11-2007 07:59 PM

I sent a couple quote requests out to mits parts online stores. Hopefully they come back with something (hopefully not $400!). Will let you know... you do the same.

BoldlyGoingNowhere 07-11-2007 09:16 PM

Yeah and then you can explain to me just what the heck you are talking about. I used to know all about stereos in the 80s, been out of it for a while... boy things have changed. [:'(]

chili_g 07-12-2007 08:23 PM

It's just a way to feed the system from an 'ipod' digitally without any noise or degradation - except inside the head unit. My 'ipod' is an iRiver H140, and plugged into the NakCD400, it actually sounds really good and clean - so I'll probably just stick with that.

FYI, the aftermarket head unit (NakCD400) bolts perfectly up to the brackets that the OEM radio is in. Unfortunately, with the non-NAV faceplate - some parts of the CD player surround are part of the faceplate (like the center part that says "MP3"). So what I mean is that when you remove the OEM stereo, you don't have a hole - you have crap in the way that you'd have to cut out to have your HU fit. Scratch that idea.

Dusty Eclipse 07-12-2007 08:42 PM

If you intend to ever sell that Naki, hit me up with it.
Good to hear more people with Talons, btw... any pics??

chili_g 07-13-2007 11:25 AM

Crap... I got a quote from mits on the Nav style dash peice. $180 list - this place will sell for $160.

The worst part is that I'm actually considering it! For a single din/normal head unit, I'd still have to make a plate to go behind the dash peice to fill the rest of the space. Or just buy a new double din - maybe a DVD player or something if I feel like spending $$$.

Dusty... I'll post some pics once I get things put back together a bit this weekend.

07mivec 07-23-2007 04:52 PM

so this is a part that you can put a double din DVD player in? i got quoted 700 for mine, so 180 is a relief. i have a double din, but i dont want to spend the money on a part that wont support it becuase i have an 07 LS w/o navi. let me know what you come up with as im looking into doing this ASAP.