Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Navi and mileage concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Default Navi and mileage concerns

Hello to all.

First time poster and new member with a couple of questions. First off I bought my 07 Outlander XLS the 20th of June from the Mitsu dealer in Sedalia Missouri. I found the experience to be pleasant and did not have any of the problems I have read about here by others. We test drove the Outlander we purchased without a starfish and were told to take all the time we wanted with it. We drove it 60 miles. Our purchase price was $24670. We got a $1000 kickback from Mitsu on the lease, the rest of the discount from the dealership. We have AWD, Navi, and the factory tow package. No sunroof or Fosgate. No leather. The vehicle came with the factory bug screen and the window deflectors. It also has 19" ASA wheels with Yoko S4's. 245-45-19. Yes, it has the low pressure indicators from original wheels. All added from the dealership at that price. Here are the concerns....

1. In the environmental mode the barometric pressure is always at 29"

2. The fuel mileage at 2300 miles is has never reached 20mpg.

A road trip of 1200 miles at 65mph which was done with 373 on odometer, understandably it is still new but I figured with a 29mph highway rating I'd see 20 or better.

Thoughts, the vehicle has power but not what I expect it to have which leads me to the thought if the vehicle has a MAP sensor is the readout in environment mode taken from the sensor output and is it possible the sensor is out of calibration? The mileage issue, the questionable power and the incorrect reading could all be pointing to one specific electronic part?

Does anyone have any ideas? Today the barometric pressure here was 30.63 and I checked and the Outlander said 29. Does anyone know how it is measured?

Thanks for reading this and hopefully someone has past experience with or seen this happen on other Outlanders.

Yes, I am 100% comfortable with my Outlander purchase.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Default RE: Navi and mileage concerns

Welcome! I am also from Missouri.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'd say your guess sounds reasonably plausible. Have you talked with the dealer? They can log the sensor readings. That sounds pretty low... I've never gotten under 20mpg and I haven't been on the interstate since I bought it. You don't leave it in "Lock", do you?

Old 07-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Welcome!

Don't know anything about the Navi, but the mileage does seem lowish, but..there are so many factors with gas mileage..If you were fully loaded, driving any hilly regions, or fighting wind..20 might not be too out of line. I think the estimate is 26 highway for the AWD. The deflectors and the wider and heaviertires and larger wheelsmay also have a detrimental effect (I would think very minor though..but it adds up)

I've had pretty good luck with gas mileage and can usually hit the estimate on the highway.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: OzarkXLS

2. The fuel mileage at 2300 miles is has never reached 20mpg.
I had the same experience, and I didn't hit 20+ mpg (measured per full tank) until I was about to do my first oil change at 3000mi. Mileage is a variable parameter, determined mostly by driving habits and environmental conditions. And the New EPA Ratings for the Outlander is not 29mpg on highway but 23mpg (4wd).

Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 AM

Never getting over 20mpg seems like something might not be right. May be worth taking it in to be looked at.
With that said, I am getting 23 to 24 mpg mixed 70/30 highway (65mph on cruise) / suburban driving. I typically get terrible mileage as Iam afflicted with a bad case of a lead footitice, but I have found it quite easy to take it easy in the new Outlander. I think it has something to do with it being my first automatic in many, many years. In playing with the paddle shifters a time or two, I have also found that I can quickly drop the mileage projection from the on-board computer below 20mpg. This thing will really suck the fuel down if you let it.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 AM

I dont know what would affect the barometric pressure. The 19s arent going to kill your gas mileage. I would go somewheres open and free of traffic and drive it really easy and see what happens. I also have gotten good gas mileage. I have never filled up a tank with less than 20 mpg and thats doing the math myself not off the computer.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 AM

Laugh, cough, no hills they say? Not where I live, its all twistys and hills and dips and uneducated drivers. My road trip was all interstate from Boonevile to Minneapolis with the cruise control used the majority of the time. The mileages were figured by fuel use between fills, not the computer. I have used the 4wd. a total of 1/2 mile since purchased just to make sure it worked and it does. Lot 33 in Macks creek is a mud bog pit and of course it was calling, why not bury a brand new one just to hear the rednecks cheer? Didn't happen, she ran thru it rightgeously. Dirty but intact. So I am hoping someone here like Rdenis will read this and with his intimate knowledge of the electronics on these vehicles he or someone else may have an idea.

Thanks for the replies....

Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM

well I just took a trip to san deigo on saturday and I got a 25mpg on a 39mph thats included freeway and a slower coaster route. I get under 20 when driving in stop and go traffic.