Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Need some info from a HID owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Default RE: Need some info from a HID owner

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Anto - your bulbs are D2R at 4300k. You can change out your bulbs for a higher spectrum like 6000k which will give you white light with tinge of blue with slightly less lumen output but probably not so noticeable to you. The 4300k are pretty much OEM standard on all OEM factory installs they have the highest luminescence but are also have a slight yellow tinge.

Anyone replaced their single beam D2R xenons with bi-xenon telescopic? You could then convert your high beam halogen to low wattage driving lights and convert your current driving lights to actual fog lamps with say an H11 single beam Xenon set up.

I'm exploring this route - I'll let you knw what I find out.
Nice, I figured they were 4300k. Definitely interested in converting the DRL's into fogs, or at least keeping them on all the time.

kene, you can put 6000k or 8000k in and it shouldnt effect the harness. Same power draw. Higher kelvin degree will get you blue to purple color, but will actually start to decrease light output. 6000k is a good number, looks good and still gives a good light output.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 PM

ORIGINAL: tdford

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Anto - your bulbs are D2R at 4300k. You can change out your bulbs for a higher spectrum like 6000k which will give you white light with tinge of blue with slightly less lumen output but probably not so noticeable to you. The 4300k are pretty much OEM standard on all OEM factory installs they have the highest luminescence but are also have a slight yellow tinge.

Anyone replaced their single beam D2R xenons with bi-xenon telescopic? You could then convert your high beam halogen to low wattage driving lights and convert your current driving lights to actual fog lamps with say an H11 single beam Xenon set up.

I'm exploring this route - I'll let you knw what I find out.
Nice, I figured they were 4300k. Definitely interested in converting the DRL's into fogs, or at least keeping them on all the time.

kene, you can put 6000k or 8000k in and it shouldnt effect the harness. Same power draw. Higher kelvin degree will get you blue to purple color, but will actually start to decrease light output. 6000k is a good number, looks good and still gives a good light output.
Alright cool Im just double checkin, it never hurts to ask.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:01 PM

The human eye gets the maximum light between 4000 and 6000k. Higher temperatures turns the spectrum to UV and because the eye is not sensible to that wavelength will, in fact, sense less luminosity. That is the reason why over 6000k, most bulbs are only for fun and in most countries even illegal. Also looks like the yellowish light tends to have some mechanisms which leads the driver to act with more caution (cf this article).

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 PM

where can i get 6000k bulbs? easy to install if followed by my outtie manual?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: tufduck

Almost every aftermarket HID bulbs are 6000K and above, so it is easy for buy them.I don't recomending over 6000K because higher K less light output ( will be more blue, but less light) Change the HID bulbs are easy. Look the manual.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM

Do we actually have HID's in the Outlanders? I thought they were just halogens. Are you guys talking about the fog lamps or headlights?

*trying to get up to speed*

Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 PM

I had the OEM HID package when i got my outtie.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: kacsa

Almost every aftermarket HID bulbs are 6000K and above, so it is easy for buy them.I don't recomending over 6000K because higher K less light output ( will be more blue, but less light) Change the HID bulbs are easy. Look the manual.
In the manual It says do not attempt to change the hids do to the voltage, plus it doesnt have a diagram. I want to change mine to 6000k also, is it the same as changing out a halogen.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: kene4466

In the manual It says do not attempt to change the hids do to the voltage, plus it doesnt have a diagram. I want to change mine to 6000k also, is it the same as changing out a halogen.
If your car was already fitted with HIDs, you can change them manually. Take care to avoid touching the bulb with the hand or any other material which may contain oil or grease.
If you plan to put an aftermarket HID, please take these into consideration:
1. The cabling is different. Each bulb requests a balast to start and maintain the electric discharge. To avoid interferences with you radio the harness should be protected with an extra metallic sheet or and connected to the car's body (grounded)
2. Autoleveling - the HID lamps should maintain the same level of the beam despite the car position
3. Washing installation which, at least in Europe, is mandatory

Voltage is the same (12V) and the power is even lower (35W vs 55W) than regular bulbs.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: n0c7

Do we actually have HID's in the Outlanders? I thought they were just halogens. Are you guys talking about the fog lamps or headlights?

*trying to get up to speed*
Yes many Outlanders have HID's. In US it was included in the "Luxury Package". And Yes the Outlanders have halogens for both fog's and headlamps...

HID is a type of bulb: High Intense Discharge

Halogen is a type of housing, some other vehicles have Projector housings. Which I think is confusing you. My last vehicle had projectors, with NO HID...

EBAY: http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&category0=

Like kene4466 said, its not in the manual to replace the HID bulbs (high voltage warning). Should be ok with disconnecting the battery though. It's a tight fit though, small hands would be great. I've ordered a set of 6000k, waiting for delivery. I'll take some pics of the install.

Quick Reply: Need some info from a HID owner