Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New member with a new question about the Outlander Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Default New member with a new question about the Outlander Sport

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new car and I love the looks of the Outlander Sport. While researching it, I came across this forum and have been lurking for a few days. I haven't been able to find the info I need and was hoping an Outlander Sport owner could help me?

Can someone tell me how large the back hatch opening is? I need to know the height and width measurement of the opening and the measurement from the hatch door to the front seats (how deep is the cargo area with the back seats down)?

I hope it's not too big of a hassle. I'd measure it myself, but the nearest Mitsubishi dealer is really far from me and I can't seem to find detailed cargo measurements online.
Thanks in advance!
Joe

Old 03-13-2013, 08:34 AM

I'm pretty sure it's 2' from the top to the bottom with the hatch open. There's a couple more inches on the interior but the hatch hole dips downwards a bit. I'll take more detailed measurements tonight ..

Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks rt_hat! I would really appreciate it. I basically need to know how tall and wide the hatch opening is and then how deep it is from the hatch opening to the front seats. This information isn't available anywhere on the web!
Thanks again,
Joe

Old 03-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Default Suggestion on buying an used Outlander Sport

I am actively looking for a used SUV, and have come across 2011 Outlander Sport with <50K miles and warranty still active.

I would really appreciate the suggestions/advice from the existing outlander users.

Regards
kvvsm

Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM

Sorry for the delay,

Took some measurements, it's about 39"W x 28"H x 60"D. My measurements aren't super precise you might gain or lose a few inches depending on what you're putting in and how much leg room you need up front ..

39" Wide : I measured from the plastic protrusions that the privacy cover rests on about midway up the cargo area. There's probably half of foot of horizontal space to be gained between the wheel and those plastic protrusions if whatever you're putting in isn't too tall.

28" High : From the bottom of the "trunk" to the lowest point on the roof of the hatch opening. It arcs upwards a bit near the center so you might gain another inch if whatever you're putting in there doesn't take the whole width of your cargo area.

~60" Deep : From the centre console/arm rest up front to the door of the hatch. You might lose another 6 inches if whatever you're putting in reaches the roof of the car because the hatch angles inwards.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by sathish_kvvsm@yahoo.co.in
I am actively looking for a used SUV, and have come across 2011 Outlander Sport with <50K miles and warranty still active.

I would really appreciate the suggestions/advice from the existing outlander users.

Regards
kvvsm
I have a 2011 Outlander Sport SE .. I'm not very impressed with it but I guess I'm stuck with it until it dies. Here's a quick list of things I like and dislike about it :

Pros :
- Higher wheel clearance than normal car (most CUVs are like that anyway).
- AWC (That is, if you're looking for that sort of thing, I think having good snow tires makes more difference than having AWC).

Cons :
- Engine is underpowered (it struggles to go up hills, accelerating on the onramp to a highway is not pleasant).
- Not much space in the back for passengers (most CUVs don't anyway).

In the end, it depends on what you're looking for. If you have more specific questions, let me know.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the measurements! Other than the wimpy engine, are you happy with it? How about with handling and interior fit and finish? Are you happy with the gas mileage?
Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 PM

I average 28-29mpg and it has improved quite a bit over the past two years. My only real issue with the 2013 model is the cabin vibration that drives me crazy but all and all she takes care of my daughter and I with a smile. Good luck with your choice because there are some great optiosn out there.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by rt_hat
I have a 2011 Outlander Sport SE .. I'm not very impressed with it but I guess I'm stuck with it until it dies. Here's a quick list of things I like and dislike about it :

Pros :
- Higher wheel clearance than normal car (most CUVs are like that anyway).
- AWC (That is, if you're looking for that sort of thing, I think having good snow tires makes more difference than having AWC).

Cons :
- Engine is underpowered (it struggles to go up hills, accelerating on the onramp to a highway is not pleasant).
- Not much space in the back for passengers (most CUVs don't anyway).

In the end, it depends on what you're looking for. If you have more specific questions, let me know.
Thanks for your valuable Pros and Cons. As most other CUV like Juke, Rouge also has 4Cyl, is it the MIVEC engine which is an issue for under power

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by TheBaron
Thanks for the measurements! Other than the wimpy engine, are you happy with it? How about with handling and interior fit and finish? Are you happy with the gas mileage?
Thanks again!
I've got no major complaints besides the engine - The interior is nice, I've read reviews where they thought it was plain. I was coming from a 2003 lancer, so I think the RVR's interior is good enough. I did notice a small vibration developing around glove box compartment when I go 90km/hr on the highway. The car handles ok for a vehicle in its class, but after driving it, I do miss conventional transmissions. The RVR's CVT doesn't inspire much spirited driving. I've spent a lot of time driving Nissan Altimas and Maximas and their CVT implementation is more refined than the RVR's. Then again, those cars also have more powerful engines and they aren't in the same class.

The gas mileage is ok, I haven't owned any other cars in its class to compare it by though. It seems like the smaller engine probably helps gas consumption but it does struggle on the highway. My running mileage count is 11.2 L/100 km after 20,210 km (I've been recording litres filled at the pump over the odometer). A couple of my friends have 201x Foresters and it feels like they have more space in interior and trunk but from what I hear, their gas consumption is much higher.

Most of the newer cars are pretty nice and the RVR is one of them so I hope you find a good deal on a car that makes you happy. I'm pretty sure any car will treat you well provided all the maintenance is up to date.

Another non-scientific anecdote : Last fall, I went on a 800 km trip in an 2012 Altima 2.5L on the highway and I think its gas consumption was pretty close to my RVR but the driving experience was much better (didn't hear lots of revving while going up hills).

Quick Reply: New member with a new question about the Outlander Sport