Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Outlander Jitters

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Default New Outlander Jitters

Hi all, I've been here reading for awhile, i pulled the trigger this week and bought an Outlander 2007 XLS with the Navigation Option, in Black. Scheduled to pick it up today, got a last-minute call from the dealership yesterday saying that after the guys filled the car up at the gas station the engine light came on, on the way back to the dealership. They're sure it's nothing, but their service bay closed at 5pm and none of the techs were there to hook it up to a diagnostic machine. have to wait til Monday to pick it up, so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. However, i'm wondering if I should be worried about getting a brand new vehicle (~14kms when i was there the other day) that is already showing engine warnings, or is stuff like this not unusual on brand new vehicles? I'm guessing i'll get comments from both sides, but thought i'd put the question out there and see what other Mitsu owners think.

thanks, looking forward to any comments you may have. Oh, and thanks also for the input from many of you on your Outies, one of my deciding factors was all of the positive comments I've read here about this beast!

Dave

Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Default RE: New Outlander Jitters

I think it would be important to find out what code it put out and the reason why. It could be as simple as a loose gas cap or much worse although I think its probably something simple. This just happened to me. The ses light came on in my wifes lancer 3 days before we were getting it appraised as a trade in.When they scanned it it came up a leak in the fuel pressure system. They tightened the cap and tested again. A code came back and they said it was some type of valve (about 50 dollars to fix it). Anyway we ended up trading the car in and the dealer was going to fix the valve. The next week we hear the light kept coming back on so they had to check the whole fuel system. Dirt had accumulated around the filter neck and the rock guard there ,trapping moisture, which cuased the entire filter and vent necks to rust out.
I am sure its nothing like this but please find out what caused the light to come on.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:29 AM

A brand new car throwing a code right after fueling it up sounds like a gas cap issue. It could be way worst but hope for something dumb. You could go to the dealership and take the cap off and put it back on and try that. I know on my moms Chevy Malibu that worked.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 PM
tcp

I'd relax, seeing as they just filled the gas up, i'd bet they didn't tightenthe capenough. Fuel systems must function under vacuum conditions these days for emissions purposes and even a bit of a leak will throw a code.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:53 AM

But you know what, Outlanders are in abundance now, not like when I was in the market where I had to fight for a color and exact specs and have to source it some 150mi in the other dealership. So I say, why not get a new one, make sure it has a different VIN. It could be gas cap, or it could be a lemon, who knows. But if it was me, I wouldn't buy a "new" car with a check engine code reset. Since I'm buying new, it has to be problem free, at least at the time of delivery. They wouldn't have a hard time finding you another one at this time of the year.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpax

But you know what, Outlanders are in abundance now, not like when I was in the market where I had to fight for a color and exact specs and have to source it some 150mi in the other dealership. So I say, why not get a new one, make sure it has a different VIN. It could be gas cap, or it could be a lemon, who knows. But if it was me, I wouldn't buy a "new" car with a check engine code reset. Since I'm buying new, it has to be problem free, at least at the time of delivery. They wouldn't have a hard time finding you another one at this time of the year.
+1 - I agree. Why start out on the wrong foot if you don't have to?

Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 PM

I'm torn, i agree with the last 2 posts in one way, but from the other side we actually had done a number of searches for cars in the area, and there don't seem to be a lot of XLS with Navi available. We originally wanted Red, but the only one in the system was in London, ON. (we're in Toronto), and when we tried to book it found out it was already sold. I have another vehicle coming off-lease shortly, so we're running out of time and don't want to be stuck without having the 2nd vehicle while waiting for another one to arrive here, bit of a quandary. Guess i'll have to make a snap decision tomorrow based on what they tell me they think the problem is..

thanks for the comments and advice, very much appreciated, i'll have my Outlander soon one way or the other!

Dave

Old 08-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Be sure to let us know. If I were in your shoes, I would wait it out as long as I could, to find the vehicle you really want.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Update: Fuel cap was indeed the culprit, not tight enough, think the guys that fill the cars up would know this. Anyways, picked up car last nite, all is well, am enjoying it so far, NAVI system is great so far, much better than my BMW 328i, Bluetooth phone system on the other hand is just okay in comparison to the BMW one, so trade-offs in either direction i guess. a few small ****ling annoyances, i'll post a new subject once i've had it for a few days.

thanks everyone for the comments!

Dave

Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM
tcp

yup, pretty important these days to tighten the cap so it clicks a few times to make sure.