Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner ...thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Default New Owner ...thoughts

Hello everyone.... my first post.

Well, I just bought an 05 LS 2WD with 5 speed stick. Will take delivery in a couple of days (!)
Anyway, it's too late now but I'm wondering whether I should have sprung some more $ and bought the AWD in 5 speed...
You see, I live in Toronto, Canada (anyone else out there from T.O??) and our winter does get slushy and snowy but
I've been driving an integra hatch (w/o ABS) on snow tires in the winter for past 7 years and I alway felt that snow tires gave me
better "feel" for the road. Granted, I have never driven an AWD but I thought AWD would be an overkill for my general driving purposes in big cities.

Can anyone comment on how the 'lander performs in winter ...for those with 2WD.

many thanks.

p.s. I look forward to participating in this forum. I had a blast with Honda-Tech.com while I was driving the teg and I'm hoping
for the same from this forum.

Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Default RE: New Owner ...thoughts

oops. Sorry about the font size!!

Old 05-10-2005, 12:01 PM

first welcome to the boards

second, IMO the awd makes the outlander, only cause you can get the lancer wagon (i think that mitsu should have it up in canada)

anyway if the area you live at isnt hilly and normally doesnt receive heavy snow, 2wd is fine.

im just jealous cuz the new 05 models have stick and us older guys got stuck with 4 speed auto. [:@]

anyway, im sure the outlander will be very good to you, and again welcome to the boards

Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 AM

Thank you Punisher (nice ride!)

Mitsu's market in Canada is VERY weak. I might see a lancer ES (no evo or wagon in Canada) or an outlander may be once or twice a month, and I live in Toronto (the largest, but flat, city in Canada)

Anyway, stick certainly felt "peppier" than AT -good thing my wife doesn't mind MT!!

I'm curious though, you mentioned that AWD "makes" the lander. What do you mean specifically? Is it the pick up or surge or traction in
foul weather -I'm more interested in safety performance (as I'm going to be a first time dad this fall) -I may be able to convince the dealer to
give me the upgrade to AWD (paid of course). Barring that, I may just elect to go with snow tires again in the winter.

thanks for the welcome.

G.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:21 AM

makes the model as in Versus the 2wd lancer wagon, as the difference between the wagon and the oulander: the outtie is larger and functions better off roading and bad conditions (hence the necessity of AWD as its better traction and performance than FWD).

Did it come with yokohama geolancers (the tires)? if yes, I found that even with these cheap mid quality tires, the outlander (in AWD) can safely manuever is tough weather (or muddy) conditions at moderate speed. however during the dry season (or for performance), its not the best choice.

try a winter in it before you jump onto awd, since you're soon to be a daddy, it might be the case that snow tires will suit your needs and no need to spend to up to awd.

Old 05-11-2005, 03:46 PM
JMC

I would have spent the extra loot for the AWD. I really don't see the point of having a truck/suv if it 's like a car.

Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 AM

vs. the lancer wagon... I see what you mean. Yes the tires are yoko -I'll try to "push it" to feel it's limit during non-ideal weather.

JMC -actually, I wanted a "raised" vehicle that handled like a car, and this one seem to fit the bill (and the cost). I did rent a Grand Cherokee for a weekend once -can't remember if its 4x4 or not but it did feel pretty "sluggish" and "soft".

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

G.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:32 PM

I bought my wife the Outlander 2wd last fall. We live just north of Montreal we get snow. You guys in T.O. don't know what snow is. (just kidding). Anyway she drove all winter on the four seasons and never got stuck or had any kind of problem, as long as you use your head.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 PM

welcome to outtie' crib!!! by the way, you lucky one w/ the 5 speed outtie!!! stucked w/ tipto 4 speed....[:'(]

Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 AM

Bruce.. encouraging to hear that 2wd handles ok in snow (what's that?), especially in Quebec. Ya I know, it snow about 7 times
in winter in T.O. -lucky me.

Wicked_outlander.. thanks MT rocks!

Hijackng my own post, but, has anyone hardwired an iPod to the factory unit??

G.

Quick Reply: New Owner ...thoughts