Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner ...thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM
Default RE: New Owner ...thoughts

you'd be better of just changing the head unit, stock doesnt give much output.

also, if your outlander didnt come with the infinity system, you will notice that there are no tweeters on your door
ORIGINAL: GTAlander

Hijackng my own post, but, has anyone hardwired an iPod to the factory unit??

G.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM

Sound is ok....... for now. Ultimately, I plan to replace the unit but not for awhile.
I'll try to add some tweeters in the summer. -according to another post in this forum, the car is prewired for tweeters (!!)
My real question is, does the stock come with AUX out for RCA cable??
How does the stock unit get removed??

many thanks
G.

Old 05-14-2005, 03:48 AM

ill take a look at the stock radio a little later today.

basically to replace/remove the HU, start by first removing the air contol *****. remove the 2 screws behind them.

after that, grip the bottom portion of the storage space (where the hazard button is) and pull it out (a little force required and it should pop right off).

same method for the next pannel and then the pannel that covers the radio.

the radio is held by screws.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Ok, so I've had the outlander MT for full 4days now and this is my observation (sorry, I can only compare it to integra -my former car)

Stick shifts very smooth. Throw is a tad longer than the integra, clutch feel is very good.
However, there is a "softness" to the whole shifting range. e.g Golf and Integra's stick was more "click" type but outlander seems to be more
fluid (?) like, not "refined" but "soft". My wife loves the feel and I'm actually liking it more than the integra (may be it's my paternal instinct kicking in?? A prelude stop beside me the other day and I was very tempted to rev the engine a bit, hmm.......) -imagine a V6 with 6 speed MT... WOW.

On the highway, down shifting and hitting about 4500 -5000 RPM gives a good surge -gotta try that on an incline to see if MIVEC can pull the car at that range, but I'm stil trying to get use to the "wobbleness" factor of this car (vs. the integra).

Engine braking isn't as sensitive as the integra, i.e., downshifting to slow down felt and took longer (may be due to difference bet. 1.8L vs. 2.4L engine??)

One thing I've noticed about the stick is that it there is a slight play when in gear, i.e. I can feel the stick move ever so slightly once it's engaged and me tapping on gas. It's not a constant move, stick just seems to "settle" in.

Engine is very quiet in the cabin, however, when I got out in my driveway, I can hear the engine running while standing beside it. It almost sounded like a diesel engine, i.e rapid "tick, tick, tick...." Is it suppose to be like that???

Made an error on my earlier post... the tires are Dunlop SP4000 -will see how these fair over the course of this year.

Punisher -advanced thanks for looking at the radio.

G.

Old 05-16-2005, 12:07 PM

well it looks like there would be a place for RCA cables just no plugs [:@]

here's a pic

Name:  hu.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  42.6 KB

Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM
JMC

Yeah....no RCA with stock.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 AM

Well, that's really too bad.
Thanks for the picture Punisher.
But, the 2 holes on the left side of the picture, is one of them a mini-plug (3.5mm)??

I think someone in this forum had hardwired an iriver with some kind of a cable.
If that person is reading, could tell me what cable is used to plug into the head unit???

Many thanks

Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 AM

iriver was me, but im using a pioneer HU. DEH-6600

I saw one on ebay for under $40 USD as of may 17 1am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

it helped improve sound with the stock speakers (no need to go past 10 to get loud, with stock i went up to 30 on the volume dial)

there's a do it yourself home made cable link, or the pioneers (cd-rb10) can be had for less than $50 USD as well

Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 AM

Thanks, you've been an excellent help.

G.