Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Newbie - Any one had this issue before?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
Default Newbie - Any one had this issue before?

I just recently purchased a 2007 aqua Outlander LS. (2 weeks ago) Believe it or not I already have about 2400 miles on the odometer. (Purchased the vehicle on Monday and went on a family vacation the following Sunday)

So far I like the vehicle. I was just curious if anyone else had the same expereinceI did when making the purchase.

During the initial discussion with a sales rep I was told the LS had bluetooth......not pre-wired but bluetooth. Great. I purchased the vehicle and one of the first options I tried to useof course was the bluetooth. I couldn't get the unit to work so I went back to the dealer. The sales manager thanked me for purchasing the outlander.I mentioned that I couldn't seem to get the bluetooth to work and asked if hecould help...no problem. After a few minutes the sales manager decided that I should have the vehicle serviced. So, two days later I drop off the vehicle to have the bluetooth issue resolved. Later, I was told the LS was not enabled but prewired and that the cost for the bluetooth would be $522.00 dollars. (This was told to me after I came by to pick up the vehicle.) The sales manager then offered to split the cost. Now here's the kicker. I've called several different dealerships and the prices range for the unit is 250.00 - 280.00. Installation runs about 70.00 - 90.00 (1 hour of labor.) So to me $522.00 sounds a little high. (Remember I was told by the salesman and the sales manager that the vehicle had bluetooth. Both were involved with scheduling the maintenance check. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?)

Any thoughts?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Default RE: Newbie - Any one had this issue before?

if it had bluetooth, it would be on the sales label.

all outlanders have the button and wiring, but not all had the module/software.

522 does sound high.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Typical salesman talk. Tricked you to buy the vehicle and let you pay for Bluetooth, double the price quote, and let you pay half the price but you're actually paying the actual price, not half. I feel sorry for you to be in that situation. I guess you should have done a little research first before buying the vehicle. You know how it is out there when you buy a car, especially Japanese.

Now if I were in that situation, I wouldn't pay a dime. They should shoulder the price for the BT because that was what you were promised (or told).

Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 PM

Just so you know, the installation of the BT interface takes about 15 minutes if it's done by a technician who knows what he's doing. I would try to have them pay for the BT, but one thing I would not pay for sure is the installation.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM

Its the dealer, and aparently they arent interested in making it right.

When I bought my outie it didnt have a hitch, told them we wanted the hitch. The sales guy and finance girl told us we could pay the $300 for the package (hitch, flaps and plug) outside of the loan. Found out when we went to do the deal it was actually now $600 because they get special pricing from mitsubishi if it takes place at the sale of the vehicle.

Well the sales and finance people admitted their mistake to the big guy and they made it right by only charging me invoice and what hourly wages they actually paid the tech to install the hitch. They showed me the invoices for their cost on the parts, the labor was reasonable and it ended up costing me $17 more than it would have initially. I dont care as we werent financing the amount which saved some that way.

I suggest you call Mitsubishi also tell them and the dealer that you will contact JD powers (they should eventually contact you anyway) and explain the dealers little mistake of not understanding what actually comes on the vehicle. Especially since it was obvious they had no clue because they sent you to service. Remember to keep your cool you are much more credible that way.

Another dealer will have little interest in making it right, however if you do end up paying full price for the set up go somewhere else and remind your current dealer you have no interest in doing business with them or their their service dept in the future.

A side note: Personally rather than have the stealer do it at full price, go to http://mitsuaccessories.com/ website call and order the parts and have a stereo installer do the install if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:44 AM

That stinks.This dealer sounds like one of the bad apples and Mitsubishi needs to crack down on them. The dealer experience is very important and for a company trying to make a big comeback..they can't let dealers like this throw wrenches into their effort!

I'd call Mitsubishi and tell them the story. I'm not sure about proving the BT in the deal story, but they should 'talk' to that dealer about their policy of doubling the price and then saying they'd give it to you for half..

You might also try getting the quotes in writing, itemized out by parts and labor

Old 07-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Shame on them. They should make it right by installing at no charge. They told you it had Bluetooth and it didn't. Big difference between has Bluetooth and is Bluetooth enabled, as you have found. Sounds like a case of ignorant sales people. I would be willing to bet that they actually thought it had full functioning Bluetooth. Stories like these are why I always know the vehicle I am shopping for inside and out prior to ever setting foot in the showroom. That way I can call BS when they start pontificating with incorrect information. I rarely have meta salesperson that knows more about the car they are trying to sell me than I do.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM

Ditto on the researching and knowing more than the salesperson! In my experience, the majority aresales people first and car people second (or less)

I can see the confusion on the BT..at first glance, they do seem to let you believe that the LS will work right away...only after looking into it more did I realize that only the XLS was ready to go. Reminds me of HDTVs and being labeled at 'ready', but needing the separate tuner

Old 07-31-2007, 06:06 PM

That sucks! Follow the advice above and hopefully someone will resolve the problem for you for free. Maybe they will want your business and just install it all for free so you keep coming back to them!

Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM

Bitch, cry, complain, do what ever it takes. Say your going to turn them in to the "better buisness B". Im not attempting to spell the last word. I doubt any dealer is going to fold and install something around 500$ cost for free, well not after you bought the car.

Word of advice, learn the car before going there. Making a dealer feel dumb helps you play with price better. Letting them have the upper hand and knowing more than you, makes them think they can rape you. I went to a dealer that said the outlander had remote start. I got there knowing it didnt have it and said show me the remote start. He fumbles with the remote and says um um um uhh it doesnt have that. I said well then why did you tell me it did on the phone. He was kind of lost for words.

Quick Reply: Newbie - Any one had this issue before?