Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

4wd service required - only fix $6055?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 02:16 PM
Default 4wd service required - only fix $6055?

I have error code showing on display on my 2017 Outlander SEL for 4wd service required. I took it to the Mistubishi service and they found connector with a lot of corrosion and can only be repleaced by replacing transfer case itself. Cost of that is $6055. So they cleaned the corrosion of the connector and said that may work for a day a week. Well it worked for 20 minutes after I pulled away from the service center.

My question is, it seems odd that this is the only solution, and the next is $6055. Is there anything else that can be done?
Thank you.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RB300
..... So they cleaned the corrosion of the connector and said that may work for a day a week. Well it worked for 20 minutes after .....
This is spooky. Corrosion does not appear again after 20 minutes. If the error code came back then there is some issue with electronics, sensor, mechanics or yes, connector (or one of its pins or wires) might be broken. Difficult to say what is broken, but definitely your service people cleared the error code but due to issue the code came back again. So, the "connector cleaning" is likely nothing to do with the issue.

The advice is to visit another service or expert who can diagnose the problem and find the issue.

Old 02-11-2023, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by RB300
I have error code showing on display on my 2017 Outlander SEL for 4wd service required. I took it to the Mistubishi service and they found connector with a lot of corrosion and can only be repleaced by replacing transfer case itself. Cost of that is $6055. So they cleaned the corrosion of the connector and said that may work for a day a week. Well it worked for 20 minutes after I pulled away from the service center.

My question is, it seems odd that this is the only solution, and the next is $6055. Is there anything else that can be done?
Thank you.
What is the length of the Mitsubishi warranty in your country? In Canada it is 10 years, so, if you bought the vehicle in Canada, even as a used vehicle, Mitsubishi should cover this expense on a 2017 Outlander.

Also, make sure you check with Mitusibishe to see if there was a tecnical service bulletin that addresses your vehicle's issue.

If things turn out for the worst, you should consider buying a used transaxle .............. maybe even an engine+transaxle combination........ and find a place, who knows what they're doing, to install it.